Posted to users@airavata.apache.org by Eric Coulter <co...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/05 19:22:50 UTC

Improving the PGA Install

Greetings, all!

As of the new year, I'm funded to help out more with different bits of
the Airavata project and the SGRC. One of the first things I'd like to look
at is
improving the installation process for the default PGA. After a meeting
this morning, it seems there are a few options. I'd like to start moving
on one of them pretty soon, but we thought some discussion would be
helpful to see which way might be most useful.

Please take a look at these, and let me know any
thoughts/feedback/preferences, or any useful experience with the tools
mentioned! (They are in no particular order.)

1. Continue to use Ansible; develop a role that is as OS-agnostic as
possible (can detect OS, dynamic inventory, etc.) There is already some
work done in this direction, but is this the best place to spend my time?

2. Develop OS-specific packages - rpm, deb, something for mac
(homebrew/port?)
 - nice from a "getting other people to host this" viewpoint, but that
doesn't seem to be a huge sticking point.

3. Docker/Singularity? Puppet? Chef? Vagrant? Singularity might be
better for other people in the research space. This would still require
creating different container images for each OS. Does this cause any
problems for database backups? Worth the time to get used to a new tool?

4. Should we be leveraging the tools available from Amazon more heavily?
This might require a fundamental change in the PGA, but could possibly
save a lot of work on our side. We don't know how much it could save,
though.

Cheers,
Eric C.

Re: Improving the PGA Install

Posted by "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <ma...@iu.edu>.
On Feb 2, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Eric Coulter <je...@iu.edu>> wrote:

Meant to sent this to dev as well... updates on my scripts for the PGA follow!

Thanks, Shameera!

1. I did mean only the PGA for now. Thanks for the link; I've got a version up extended for Ubuntu at [1]. Please take a look/test if you've got a chance!
It was fairly straightforward to add support for Debian; the main trip-up was dealing with the differences in http daemon config, but separation of tasks/includes/templates was easy using ansible_os_family as a key for the right filename/variables (added dictionary in roles/pga/vars/main.tml based on OS).

Eric, Dev,

I finally got around to trying to install PGA on Centos on Jetstream.  I configured the variables so that it would deploy an instance of PGA to match what we deploy for dev.seagrid.org<http://dev.seagrid.org>.  It worked pretty well! Here are some of my thoughts on the process:

* To configure the variables I needed to update roles/pga/vars/main.yml. That is, according to ansible variable precedence [1], there was no good way to just override those variables for my VM on Jetstream.  Ideally, I think, I would rather use group variables (or host vars?) for configuring the specifics of a particular pga instance instead of needing to mess around with the pga role. I think maybe we could move roles/pga/vars/main.yml to roles/pga/defaults/main.yml, that way it serves to document the needed variables and provides defaults for variables that don’t need to be overridden often

* I didn’t configure the gateway_data_store_resource_id but I’m bringing this up because if we want to automate provisioning pga instances we’ll need to automate creating the data storage resource especially for new Jetstream VMs and the like.

* I think it would be simpler/safer to add an apache config file to /etc/httpd/conf.d instead of replacing the main httpd.conf file, if we can.  It would only need to have a couple of <VirtualHost> configurations.

* it seemed weird that the app/storage and user data directory are made owned (user and group) by the ‘centos’ user instead of by the ‘apache’ user.  On gw54 we have these directories owned by a ‘pga’ user and group owned by the ‘apache’ group.  It makes sense because httpd runs as user apache.  I don’t think this is a huge deal, since the directories are world writeable, just seemed weird.

* I discussed this with Eric on Slack but to document: I couldn’t run just the pga plays in the playbook by using tags. I tried this:

  ansible-playbook -i hosts --tags pga site.yml

However it tried to connect to the zookeeper server listed in hosts and failed.  It appears that Ansible runs fact gathering on all hosts in the playbook even if they have no matching plays [2]. Eric came up with a workaround:

  ansible-playbook -i hosts --tags pga -l pga site.yml

This limits the playbook to only run for the pga host. (Probably the ‘—tags pga’ is superfluous).

But in general, it looks like the tags aren’t so useful.  Maybe makes sense to break the single playbook up into some smaller ones.

Thanks,

Marcus

[1] http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/playbooks_variables.html#variable-precedence-where-should-i-put-a-variable
[2] https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/15927#issuecomment-248419553

Fwd: Re: Improving the PGA Install

Posted by Eric Coulter <je...@iu.edu>.
Meant to sent this to dev as well... updates on my scripts for the PGA
follow!

Thanks, Shameera!

1. I did mean only the PGA for now. Thanks for the link; I've got a
version up extended for Ubuntu at [1]. *Please take a look/test if
you've got a chance!*
It was fairly straightforward to add support for Debian; the main
trip-up was dealing with the differences in http daemon config, but
separation of tasks/includes/templates was easy using ansible_os_family
as a key for the right filename/variables (added dictionary in
roles/pga/vars/main.tml based on OS).

3. I might get to take a look at this; I'll have to check out what
Marcus has done and some past discussions on problems with
PGA-as-container. I just mentioned puppet/chef as possible alternatives,
but I am definitely on board with Ansible.

As far as production/dev goes, at least for Ansible (where the main
difference should just be the hosts involved), it would be fairly easy
to re-structure the inventory/variable setup in the root playbook
directory, something like in [2].

[1] https://github.com/ECoulter/airavata/tree/pga_update/dev-tools/ansible

[2]
http://www.geedew.com/setting-up-ansible-for-multiple-environment-deployments/

Cheers,
Eric C.

--
------------------------------------
Eric Coulter         jecoulte@iu.edu

Re: Improving the PGA Install

Posted by Eric Coulter <je...@iu.edu>.
Thanks, Shameera!

--
------------------------------------

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

--
Shameera Rathnayaka

Re: Improving the PGA Install

Posted by Eric Coulter <co...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Marcus - that's a good point!

I'll definitely keep "minimally separate" dev/prod deployments in mind,
whichever way we go.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Ansible as a quick solution (< 1 day to
implement & lightly test, unless I'm missing something in the install
guide), but Docker seems like an interesting way to go. It *does* look like
it would involve building a few different containers for the individual
services involved php app, mysql, rabbitmq, and airavata itself.

If noone objects, I'll probably take an hour or two tomorrow to see how far
a quick attempt at 'Ansiblizing' this goes - even if the PGA goes in a new
direction in the future, a small amount of work might save some pain in the
meantime.

Cheers,
Eric C.

Posted by "Pierce, Marlon" <ma...@iu.edu>.
+1 in general for this “requirement”. I was thinking the same thing.

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

--
Shameera Rathnayaka