Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by David Zolli <kr...@kroc.tk> on 2007/01/17 11:24:20 UTC

Build error with Ubuntu Edgy

I tried to build rivet on a stock up to date Ubuntu Edgy and here is
what I got:

root@serveur:/root# svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tcl/rivet/
trunk rivet
A    rivet/NOTICE
A    rivet/configure
.../...
A    rivet/Makefile.am
A    rivet/README.configure
Checked out revision 496981.
root@serveur:/root# cd rivet
root@serveur:/root/rivet# ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.4/
checking for correct TEA configuration... ok (TEA 3.1)
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for Tcl configuration... found /usr/lib/tcl8.4/tclConfig.sh
checking for existence of /usr/lib/tcl8.4/tclConfig.sh... loading
.../...
checking for building with threads... yes
checking how to build libraries... shared
checking if 64bit support is enabled... no
checking if 64bit Sparc VIS support is requested... no
checking system version (for dynamic loading)... ./configure: line
26436: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./configure: line 26436: `    case `(ac_space=' '; set | grep
ac_space) 2>&1` in'

Anybody knows what's going wrong?

--
David Zolli
kroc@kroc.tk

Re: Build error with Ubuntu Edgy

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.
David Welton wrote:
>> Thanks, but I just changed lib_libexecdir to /usr/lib/rivet0.7.0 by
>> hand and it works fine for me.
>
> Yeah... I think it's certainly not %100 correct (obviously!), but it
> could probably be fixed with some tweaking, without redoing
> everything.  At least for the 1.0 branch...

Considering the obvious lack of time what release goals have
to be matched in order to make the "tweaking" of a 1.0 relaese
worthwhile?

--
-- Massimo Manghi

-- Dipartimento di Biologia Evolutiva e Funzionale
-- Università degli Studi di Parma
-- Parco Area delle Scienze 11A - 43100 Parma

Re: Build error with Ubuntu Edgy

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> Thanks, but I just changed lib_libexecdir to /usr/lib/rivet0.7.0 by
> hand and it works fine for me.

Yeah... I think it's certainly not %100 correct (obviously!), but it
could probably be fixed with some tweaking, without redoing
everything.  At least for the 1.0 branch...

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Build error with Ubuntu Edgy

Posted by David Zolli <kr...@kroc.tk>.

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.
David Zolli wrote:
> Le 17 janv. 07 à 11:30, David Welton a écrit :
>
>> You need to get the 1.0 branch:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tcl/rivet/branches/1_0/
>
> Ok, it works better:
>
> svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tcl/rivet/branches/1_0 rivet
> ok
>
> cd rivet && ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.4
> ok
>
> make
> ok
>

> But it fails at "make install" because in ./src/Makefile there is:
>
> lib_libexecdir = /usr/lib /usr/share/rivet0.7.0
>
> while I think it should be something like:
>
> lib_libexecdir = /usr/lib/rivet0.7.0

I tried to get around the same problem weeks ago
(you may check the list archive of december). It was
pointed out that the whole autotools set up is broken
and has to be revised also in order to make the project
easier to handle, expecially for the benefit of the apache2
support development.

I had also other problems with the shared libraries not
linking the way they should. I was able to build a running
module only by including in the build of mod_rivet the
whole librivet source code.

In src/Makefile.am

mod_rivet_la_SOURCES = apache_multipart_buffer.c apache_request.c       \
rivetChannel.c rivetChannel.h rivetParser.c rivetParser.h rivetCore.c   \
mod_rivet.c TclWebapache.c mod_rivet.h TclWeb.h rivet.h                 \
rivetPkgInit.c rivetWWW.c rivetCrypt.c rivetList.c                      \
apache_multipart_buffer.h apache_request.h

I had also to apply to mod_rivet.c a patch David Welton
provided for  (I can send it over to you if you want, but  it's
also available from the thread I mentioned above).

 -- Massimo

Re: Build error with Ubuntu Edgy

Posted by David Zolli <kr...@kroc.tk>.
Le 17 janv. 07 à 11:30, David Welton a écrit :

> You need to get the 1.0 branch:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tcl/rivet/branches/1_0/

Ok, it works better:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tcl/rivet/branches/1_0 rivet
ok

cd rivet && ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.4
ok

make
ok

But it fails at "make install" because in ./src/Makefile there is:

lib_libexecdir = /usr/lib /usr/share/rivet0.7.0

while I think it should be something like:

lib_libexecdir = /usr/lib/rivet0.7.0

--
David Zolli - R&D Manager
dzolli@larochelle-innovation.com

Re: Build error with Ubuntu Edgy

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
oops, resending to the list, I hit the wrong button.  Please reply on
the list:-)