Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ratón Lacarcel, Antonio" <ar...@indra.es> on 2003/08/21 15:37:35 UTC

RV: Tomcat SSL client authentication problem with Internet Explore

Hi!

I have a problem with Tomcat 4.0.6 and SSL client authentication. When I use the Internet Explorer browser (v6.0) and I try to access the secure URL (for example https://whatever:8043), an empty list of certificates is presented. However, if I use Mozilla 1.4 or Netscape  4.76, the client certificates are presented and the secure pages are available.

The following environment is used:

 + jdk1.3.1_08
 + Microsoft Certificate Server
 + Tomcat 4.0.6

My server.xml file has the following element:

               enableLookups="true"
               acceptCount="10" debug="3"  scheme="https" secure="true" connectionTimeout="20000"
               useURIValidationHack="false">
    <Factory className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
               clientAuth="true"
               keystoreFile="C:\Documents and Settings\araton\.keystore"
               keystorePass="changeit" protocol="TLS"/>
    </Connector>

I have also created the keystores and the cacerts (for trusted certificates) files. Tomcat also finds the cacerts file because I've added the following parameters in the Tomcat enviroment variables (and because I've seen it in the debug console):
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=c:\path_to_cacerts\cacerts
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=changeit

I have defined my own CA, my server-tomcat certificate signed by the CA and in order to create the client certificates, I've used the Certificate Server web tool, asking for a web certificate using each browser (Netscape-IE-Mozilla) and installing the client certificate from the browser.

Could you help me please?

If more info is needed, please tell it to me and I will try to explain the problem with higher detail.

Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is too simple...

Antonio Ratón

---

Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su destinatario o destinatarios. Queda prohibida su divulgación, copia o distribución a terceros sin la previa autorización escrita de Indra. En el caso de haber recibido este correo electrónico por error, se ruega notificar inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenvío a la dirección electrónica del remitente.

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is prohibited without the prior written consent of Indra. If you have received this communication in error, please, notify the sender by reply e-mail

Re: Tomcat SSL client authentication problem with Internet Explore

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I'm guessing that you didn't install your CA's cert in MSIE's root
certificates.  Since Tomcat will ask for certs signed by your CA, if MSIE
can't find any (that it can verify the chain with), you get an empty box.

"Rat�n Lacarcel, Antonio" <ar...@indra.es> wrote in message
[...]

Antonio Rat�n

---

Este correo electr�nico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo,
contiene informaci�n de car�cter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su
destinatario o destinatarios. Queda prohibida su divulgaci�n, copia o
distribuci�n a terceros sin la previa autorizaci�n escrita de Indra. En el
caso de haber recibido este correo electr�nico por error, se ruega notificar
inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenv�o a la direcci�n
electr�nica del remitente.