Posted to user@spark.apache.org by rajat kumar <ku...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/27 19:24:11 UTC

Profiling data quality with Spark

Hi Folks
Hoping you are doing well, I want to implement data quality to detect
issues in data in advance. I have heard about few frameworks like GE/Deequ.
Can anyone pls suggest which one is good and how do I get started on it?

Regards
Rajat

Re: Profiling data quality with Spark

Posted by Walaa Eldin Moustafa <wa...@gmail.com>.
Rajat,

You might want to read about Data Sentinel, a data validation tool on Spark
that is developed at LinkedIn.

https://engineering.linkedin.com/blog/2020/data-sentinel-automating-data-validation

The project is not open source, but the blog post might give you insights
about how such a system could be built.

Thanks,
Walaa.

Posted by Chitral Verma <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rajat,
I have worked for years in democratizing data quality for some of the top
organizations and I'm also an Apache Griffin Contributor and PMC - so I
know a lot about this space. :)

Coming back to your original question, there are a lot of data quality
options available in the market today and I'm listing down some of my top
recommendations with some additional comments,

*Proprietary Solutions*

   - MonteCarlo <https://www.montecarlodata.com/>
      - Pros: State of the art DQ solution with multiple deployment models,
      lots of connectors, SOC-2 compliant and handles the complete DQ lifecycle
      including monitoring and alerting.
      - Cons: Not open source, cannot be a "completely on-prem solution"
      - Anomalo <https://www.anomalo.com/>
      - Pros: One of the best UI for DQ management and operations.
      - Cons: Same as monte carlo - not open source, cannot be a
      "completely on-prem solution"
   - Collibra
   <https://www.collibra.com/us/en/products/data-quality-and-observability>
      - Pros: Predominantly a data cataloging solution, Collibra now offers
      full data governance with its DQ offerings
      - Cons: in my opinion, connectors can be a little pricey over time
      with usage. Also the same cons as monte carlo apply to Collibra as well.
      - IBM Solutions <https://www.ibm.com/in-en/data-quality>
   - Pros: Lots of offerings in DQ space, comes with a UI, has profiling
      and other features built in. It's a solution for complete DQ management.
      - Cons: Proprietary solution which can result in vendor lock in.
      Customizations and extensions may be difficult.
   - Informatica Data Quality tool
   <https://www.informatica.com/in/products/data-quality.html>
      - Pros: Comes with a UI, has profiling and other features built in.
      Its a solution for complete DQ management.
      - Cons: Proprietary solution which can result in vendor lock in.
      Customizations and extensions may be difficult.

*Open Source Solutions*

   - Great Expectations <https://greatexpectations.io/>
   - Pros: built for technical users who want to code DQ as per their
      requirement, easy to extend via code and lots of connectors and
      "expectations" or checks are available out of the box. Fits nicely in a
      python environment with or without Pyspark. Can be made to fit in most
      stacks.
      - Cons: No UI, no alerting or monitoring. However, see the
      recommendation section below for more info on how to get around this.

      - Note: They are coming up with Cloud offering as well in 2023
      - Amazon Deequ <https://github.com/awslabs/deequ>
      - Pros: Actively maintained project that allows technical users to
      code checks using this project as a base library. Contains profiler,
      anomaly detection etc. Runs checks using Spark. Pydeequ is available for
      python users.
      - Cons: Like great expectations, it's a library not a whole end to
      end DQ platform.
   - Apache Griffin <https://github.com/apache/griffin/>
      - Pros: Aims to be a complete open source DQ platform with support
      for lots of streaming and batch datasets. Run checks using spark.
      - Cons: Not actively maintained these days due to lack of
      contributors.

*Recommendation*

   - Make some choices like below to narrow down the offerings,
   - Buy or build the solution?
      - Cloud dominant, mostly On Prem or hybrid?
      - For technical users, non-technical or hybrid end users?
      - Automated workflows or manual custom workflows?
   - For Buy + Cloud dominant + hybrid users + Automation kind of choices
   my recommendation would be to go with Monte Carlo or Anomalo. Otherwise one
   of the open source offerings.
   - For Great Expectations, there is a guide available to push DQ results
   to the open source Datahub <https://datahubproject.io/> Catalog. This
   combination vastly extends the reach of great expectations as a tool, you
   get a UI and for the missing things you can connect with other solutions.
   This Great Expectations + Datahub combination delivers solid valud and is
   basically equivalent to a lot of proprietary offerings like Collibra.
   However this requires some engineering.

*Other Notable mentions*

   - https://www.bigeye.com/
   - https://www.soda.io/

Hope this long note clarifies things for you. :)

Posted by infa elance <in...@gmail.com>.

<[mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com](mailto:mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com)> wrote:

talking about data lineage here?

sig/AIorK4zholKucR2Q9yMrKbHNn-o1TuS4mYXyi2KO6Xmx6ikHPySa9MLaLZ8t2hrA6AUcxSxDgHIwmKE)

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by rajat kumar <ku...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the input folks.

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ayan guha <gu...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> on getting more value for every single dollar they spend.
>>
>> Best of luck.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gourav Sengupta
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 7:30 PM Mich Talebzadeh <
>> mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, you need to qualify your statement on data quality. Are you
>>> talking about data lineage here?
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>

>>>    view my Linkedin profile
>>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mich-talebzadeh-ph-d-5205b2/>
>>>

>>>  https://en.everybodywiki.com/Mich_Talebzadeh
>>>

>>> *Disclaimer:* Use it at your own risk. Any and all responsibility for
>>> any loss, damage or destruction of data or any other property which may
>>> arise from relying on this email's technical content is explicitly
>>> disclaimed. The author will in no case be liable for any monetary damages
>>> arising from such loss, damage or destruction.

Best Regards,
Ayan Guha

Re: Profiling data quality with Spark

Posted by Gourav Sengupta <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sean,

the entire narrative of SPARK being a unified analytics tool falls flat as
what should have been an engine on SPARK is now deliberately floated off as
a separate company called as Ray, and all the unified narrative rings
hollow.

SPARK is nothing more than a SQL engine as per SPARKs own conference where
they said that around more than 95% (in case I am not wrong) users use the
SQL interface :)

I have seen engineers split their hair for simple operations which takes
minutes in Snowflake or Redshift just because of SPARK configurations,
shuffle, and other operations.

This matters in the industry today, sadly, because people are being laid
off from their jobs because a 1 dollar simple solution has to be run as a
rocket science.

So my suggestion is to decouple your data quality solution from SPARK,
sooner or later everyone is going to see that saving jobs and saving money
makes sense :)

Regards,
Gourav Sengupta

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.