Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net> on 2018/05/21 07:41:17 UTC

NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Hey,

so as we have a release of NB 9.0 RC1 soon, we wanted to have a new Splash screen as a bit of a rebrand under Apache as we already have an awesome new logo. Unfortunately, there was no vote yet and I think, because we will have a release very soon, shall we go with this proposal? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaU7oQHVwAAoBzp.jpg:large

Cheers

Chris

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
+1  for  "Apache NetBeans 9.0 IDE"   :)

Cheers
Kai

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
A bit off-topic, but my experience all over the world is that there's a lot
of excitement about the NetBeans brand now. Far more people from around the
world are involved in the development of NetBeans today than there have
ever been in the entire history of NetBeans. :-)

Gj

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Dmitry Avtonomov <dm...@gmail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 21 May 2018 at 09:16 John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not a fan of the wording but to me, it reads like NetBeans IDE Apache
> v9.0.
>
> It's a splash screen I don't think we should be spending ages on it since
> it can change every release...

Well, no, but I also think we need to get the name right!  IMO Apache needs
to come above / before NetBeans.  Other than that happy enough to go with
this.

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

RE: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Dmitry Avtonomov <dm...@gmail.com>.
I frankly don’t understand why it says “Apache v9.0”, while it should be “NetBeans v9.0”

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Looks good...

Sven

Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> schrieb am Fr., 8.
Juni 2018, 18:25:

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
I don’t think we have a choice about including ‘incubating’. No one using
NetBeans is outside of the Apache world. And that is part of our name until
we leave the incubator.

The name on the splash screen should be:

Apache NetBeans IDE (incubating) 9.0

Can you ask David to change that and resend it?

Thanks,

Gj

AW: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Of Course, it should be Apache NetBeans DIE but I think we don’t Need to make the Apache so proiminent. As you can see the new proposal, where Apache is above NetBeans. And -1 for incubating, but this is only my personal opinion. I know that this is still an incubating Project, but no one cares outside of the Apache world for this. They see NetBeans is an Apache Project. IMHO

Cheers

Chris

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
+1 to include "incubating".

This is an Apache Incubator project, after all.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Efrem Mc <ef...@gmail.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

AW: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
➢ We need a unifying style that covers not only the icon and splash screen but goes all the way to icons, color palette, fonts, start page, layout, etc.

➢ Of course, doing such a task well is non-trivial even for a designer. And they will need close help from the developers implementing the UI.

Definitely, we Need such overal style refactoring and unifying.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
I like the new splash screen.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by djamel torche <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Javier Ortiz <ja...@gmail.com>.
Looks good after the requested naming changes.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
If we build it, they will come.

Gj

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.

Re: NB 9.0 Splash Screen

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
Love the new splash screen...great work!  +1

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866