Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Shrey Mehrotra <sh...@impetus.co.in> on 2015/01/23 15:28:17 UTC

Multiple repository creation for single cluster.

Hi All,

We are creating repositories in Ranger and found that multiple HDFS or Hive repositories could be created for a single cluster (pointing to single namenode IP or metastore URI), but in agents we provide only one repository that would be used by the agent interceptors.  Is this the expected behavior or could we restrict creation of 1 repository for one cluster (say hadoopdev for namenode ip 192.168.25.47:8020) ?. What would be the benefit of defining multiple repositories for a single cluster as only one is going to be used and would not be changed after Ranger deployment?

Any inputs would be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
Shrey Mehrotra
Senior Software Engineer, iLabs
Impetus Infotech Pvt. Ltd.

________________________________

Re: Multiple repository creation for single cluster.

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@apache.org>.
Hi:

Sure, Please do create a JIRA and add your proposal to solve on the same
JIRA.

+1 on the proposed solution from me.

Thanks,
Selva-

From:  Shrey Mehrotra <sh...@impetus.co.in>
Date:  Friday, January 23, 2015 at 12:45 PM
To:  "user@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>,
"dev@ranger.incubator.apache.org" <de...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  RE: Multiple repository creation for single cluster.

Hi Selva,

The feature of defining multiple repository from a single RANGER-ADMIN UI is
a good offering. We could restrict the creation of duplicate repositories
for same cluster by checking against the unique identifier for the
repository in the ranger DB at the time of creating a new one. It could be
namenode IP for HDFS and hive metastore uri for Hive and similarly for
others. Could I create a minor jira for the same and we could then discuss
and implement the solution for it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@apache.org>.
Hi Shrey: