Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Andy Dawson <an...@iti.upv.es> on 2006/07/20 17:53:28 UTC

Monitor Results - Best practice

Hi All,

I have a test plan containing 2 thread groups
    One for the test (Thread count >1)
    One for monitoring the results (Thread count ==1)

The test plan is for a fixed duration with a permanent thread loop.

For the proof of concept type testing I am doing at the moment this is
fine - the load on the machine running Jmeter is very low, and the
resultant graph gives a good summary of the server state during the
test. For a coming project it will be necessary to use distributed
testing - At the moment I have defined the results monitor to save the
results and a simple data writer to save the raw data(Save as XML, Save
ResponseData, Save TimeStamp,Save ActiveThreadCount) should any further
analysis be required.

I would like to start as I mean to go on: what is the best way to make
use of a monitor? Is it considered bad practice to use the same machine
to load the server and monitor it´s response?

Thanks & Regards,

Andy

Re: Monitor Results - Best practice

Posted by Andy Dawson <an...@iti.upv.es>.
Hi Peter,

I replied to the other thread, but just for completeness:

Thanks for your reply.

I´m effectively using it for endurance testing of a troublesome app,
which possibly crosses the boundry into smoke testing given the low
duration/number of users sometimes needed to kill the server. I will
look into using a profiler if it´s deemed more appropriate.

Thanks & Regards,

Andy

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
the monitor is used 2 ways.