Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Philip Wege <ph...@binobyte.com> on 2014/09/12 13:34:15 UTC

Cloudstack Networking Question

Hi All

I'm new to Cloudstack and I have been through the documentation but it doesn't give me a straight answer on the following question I have regarding Networking design. Hopefully someone here can help.

The Hypervisor I would like to use is KVM.

I don't want to use any Virtual Router / NAT or LB features offered by cloudstack , I just need the guest virtual machines on a specified vlan to be able to communicate to any other hardware device that is also on the same vlan which may be outside of the cloudstack setup, wether it be a router / firewall or hardware servers.

Is this supported and which network mode does this if it is supported ?

Regards
Philip

RE: Cloudstack Networking Question

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Philip,

CloudStack will always need a 'Public' Network to be configured in an advanced network for secondary storage VMs, console proxies as well as any isolated networks which MIGHT need a public IP. However the public  network can be part of an internal RFC range which is not directly on the internet. You'll likely need that 'internal public' range to be able to reach the internet though to download templates etc.

Regards

Paul Angus
Cloud Architect
S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447711418784 | T: CloudyAngus
paul.angus@shapeblue.com

Posted by Philip Wege <ph...@binobyte.com>.
Thank you Claus and Erik

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Kalle <ka...@uni-koeln.de>.
Hi Philip,

I am using a shared guest network with the "QuickCloudNoServices"
Network Offering for such guests (with advanced network setup).

--
Freundliche Gruesse, Claus Kalle