Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Scott <da...@netzentry.com> on 2006/09/25 23:41:18 UTC

apache 1.37 + mod_perl + libapreq

Guys,

I'm trying to build a bundled version of Apache 1 + mod_perl but am
having a hell of a time building the Apache::Request and Apache::Cookie
modules.

I've built the shared object version of libapreq and that works fine
(I've got my Apache 1.37 in a special source file and libapreq finds it
fine).  The problem is that when I come to build the Perl wrapper later,
it tries to re-build the C library.  This is bad, because there is no
way to pass in the location of the Apache header files during the Perl
build process, so the whole thing fails.

According to the docs, if I have libapreq.so and the Perl build can find
it, it will use that library rather than re-building it.  So I say

perl Makefile LIBS='-L/path/to/my/libapreq -lapreq'

When building the Perl module.  Seems to me it should find libapreq.
But it wants to build the C library anyway.  What am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance.

David

Re: apache 1.37 + mod_perl + libapreq

Posted by Sven Geisler <sg...@aeccom.com>.
Hi David,

I'm not sure why you want to build the libapreq library separately from
the Perl module(s). My understanding of libapreq is that the library is
part of the Perl module installation.

Anyhow I use following build order since years without any issues.

1. Perl
2. Perl modules which are not related to apache/mod_perl
3. Extract apache source
4. Make mod_perl and other apache modules
5. Make apache
6. Make Apache::Test
7. Make libapreq
8. Make Perl modules which are related to apache/mod_perl like
Apache::DBI, Apache::Session ...

I'm using apache 1.3.34, mod_perl 1.29 and libapreq 1.3.

I guess, the build process of libapreq does recompile the libapreq
library each time you build the Perl module.

Cheers
Sven.

--
/This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not

Sven Geisler <sg...@aeccom.com> Tel +49.30.5362.1627 Fax .1638
Senior Developer,    AEC/communications GmbH    Berlin,   Germany

Re: apache 1.37 + mod_perl + libapreq

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
David Scott wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm trying to build a bundled version of Apache 1 + mod_perl but am
> having a hell of a time building the Apache::Request and Apache::Cookie
> modules.
>
> I've built the shared object version of libapreq and that works fine
> (I've got my Apache 1.37 in a special source file and libapreq finds it
> fine).  The problem is that when I come to build the Perl wrapper later,
> it tries to re-build the C library.  This is bad, because there is no
> way to pass in the location of the Apache header files during the Perl
> build process, so the whole thing fails.
>
> According to the docs, if I have libapreq.so and the Perl build can find
> it, it will use that library rather than re-building it.  So I say
What docs ?

> perl Makefile LIBS='-L/path/to/my/libapreq -lapreq'
I assume you mean
-L/usr/local/X
ls -l X/*
  libapreq.so

Personally, never tried, but if you point me at the docs your following, I'm willing to try it.

When I call your name, Girl, it starts to flame
Burning in my heart, Tearing it all apart..
No matter how I try My love I cannot hide....