Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/09/30 22:25:06 UTC

Before I file a bug report...

I want to get confirmation that this is a valid url:

http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp/foo

Where:

PATH_INFO=/foo

The error that I get right now is:

HTTP Status 404 - /jsp/snp/snoop.jsp/foo
The requested resource (/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp/foo) is not available.

Please note that:

http://localhost:8080/context/servlet/Bar/foo

Works just fine. I don't see why it shouldn't also work with file extension
mapping.

thanks,

-jon

Re: Before I file a bug report...

Posted by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>.
> on 9/30/01 3:15 PM, "Remy Maucherat" <rm...@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Mmmm, I'm not too sure about all this.
> > The servlet spec seems to imply that the extension mapping is on the end
of
> > the path.
> >
> > Section 11.1, item #3 : If the last segment in the URL path contains an
> > extension (e.g. .jsp), the servlet container will try to match a servlet
> > that handles requests for the extension.
> > An extension is defined as the part of the last segment after the last
'.'
> > character.
> >
> > Remy
>
> I think the Servlet Spec is wrong then because HTTP says that anything
after
> the extension mapping is PATH_INFO. It Is also inconsistent with the way
> that servlet path mapping works as well.

We're supposed to implement path mapping the way it is specified in the
servlet API. So if I read the spec correctly, it says that /foo.jsp goes to
the *.jsp mapping, and /foo.jsp/bar goes to the default servlet, since here
/bar would be the last segment of the URI.

Remy

Re: SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO with extension mapping

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
We are now discussing this problem on JSR-053's mailing list. It turns out
that several other vendors break the spec and do somewhat close to the right
thing. :-)

Unfortunately, due to the politics at Sun, only members of the JSR can see
this discussion. Sorry.

-jon

RE: SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO with extension mapping

Posted by Marc Saegesser <ma...@apropos.com>.
I agree that prohibitting PATH_INFO for extension mapped servlets is not
good.  But, a lot of people have been throwing things like "this violates
the HTTP specification" or "this violates the HTML specification".  Would
someone please show me where either of these specifications makes any
mention of PATH_INFO?

PATH_INFO is a CGI concept and CGI is a finalist for the least specified
specification award.

Also, the CGI specification does not describe any methods for mapping URLs
to CGI applications, this is a function of the Web server, so it doesn't
really help much in the debate over how PATH_INFO should be treated with
extension mappings vs. prefix mappings.  That said, what little information
is provided in the specification would lend credence to the side (my side,
actually) that PATH_INFO should be available in either case.  Here's the
section on the PATH_INFO environment variable:

-------
-  PATH_INFO

The extra path information, as given by the client. In other words, scripts
can be accessed by their virtual pathname, followed by extra information at
the end of this path. The extra information is sent as PATH_INFO. This
information should be decoded by the server if it comes from a URL before it
is passed to the CGI script.
-------

Since this stuff has *nothing* to do with HTTP or HTML, the servlet
specification is free to specify what getPathInfo() returns however it
pleases.  The examples provided on this thread provide good reasons why the
existing specification is lacking and I think it should be changed.  Lets
just understand why it needs changed and not through non-existent
specification violation claims.

Marc Saegesser

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.

Quoting Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>:

> As much as my personal preference is the same as Jon and Costin, it
> seems that section 11.1 rule #3 explicitly dis-allows extension
> mappings to have a PATH_INFO.
> <spec-quote>
> If the last segment in URL path contains an extension (e.g .jsp) the
> servlet
> container will try to match a servlet that handles requests for the
> extension. An extension is defined as the part of the last segment after
> the
> last '.' character.
> </spec-quote>
> This is from the 2.3 Spec, since Jon is a 4.0 user.

- Christopher

/**

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 9/30/01 8:45 PM, "Bill Barker" <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:

> As much as my personal preference is the same as Jon and Costin, it seems
> that section 11.1 rule #3 explicitly dis-allows extension mappings to have a
> PATH_INFO.
> <spec-quote>
> If the last segment in URL path contains an extension (e.g .jsp) the servlet
> container will try to match a servlet that handles requests for the
> extension. An extension is defined as the part of the last segment after the
> last '.' character.
> </spec-quote>
> This is from the 2.3 Spec, since Jon is a 4.0 user.

The spec is wrong.

-jon

Re: SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO with extension mapping

*----*

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Actually, Google is one of the few sites that do cache pages with query
strings (try searching for "tmwx" if you don't believe me).
Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 9/30/01 5:47 PM, "cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> the conclusion was that the HTTP spec is wrong and we should
> follow the Servlet spec.

That is complete BS. The servlet spec shouldn't 'override' what is defined
in the HTTP spec unless absolutely necessary. This is definitely not a
necessary case, but instead an act of stupidity.

> Workaround - declare each page with exact mappings in web.xml.

Making me specify each and every page in my webapp in the web.xml is just
plain BS.

I bet that a URL like this works:

    http://www.foo.com/MicrosoftIsBetterThanSun.asp/foo/bar

I *know* that this URL works:

    http://www.foo.com/PHPIsBetterThanJSP.php/foo/bar

Essentially, what you are doing by removing this capability is preventing
the SCRIPT_NAME from having PATH_INFO and that is not right according to the
HTTP spec. I don't think that a Servlet container can override the behavior
of the HTTP spec and still claim HTTP compliance.

-jon

Re: Before I file a bug report...

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

> > Mmmm, I'm not too sure about all this.
> > The servlet spec seems to imply that the extension mapping is on the end of
> > the path.
> >
> > Section 11.1, item #3 : If the last segment in the URL path contains an
> > extension (e.g. .jsp), the servlet container will try to match a servlet
> > that handles requests for the extension.
> > An extension is defined as the part of the last segment after the last '.'
> > character.
> >
> > Remy
>
> I think the Servlet Spec is wrong then because HTTP says that anything after
> the extension mapping is PATH_INFO. It Is also inconsistent with the way
> that servlet path mapping works as well.

Well, I agree with Jon, but we had this whole discussion almost a year
ago, and the conclusion was that the HTTP spec is wrong and we should
follow the Servlet spec.

Older versions of tomcat supported path info on extension mapped servlets,
that was removed since it was considered a spec compliance bug.

Re: Before I file a bug report...

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Re: Before I file a bug report...

Posted by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>.

Re: Before I file a bug report...

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
[...]

Something like (untested):

String dotToEnd = relativeURI.substring(relativeURI.indexOf('.'))
StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
for (int i=0; i<dotToEnd .length(); i++)
{
    sb.append(dotToEnd.charAt(i));
    wrapper = (Wrapper) context.findChild(sb.toString());
    if (wrapper != null) {
        break;
    }
}

Then, once I know the suffix, I will make everything following the suffix
PATH_INFO.

I should be protected against DOS attacks of really long URI's by the
limited length that Catalina will accept for URI's.

-jon

on 9/30/01 1:25 PM, "Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> I want to get confirmation that this is a valid url:
>
> http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp/foo
>
> Where:
>
> PATH_INFO=/foo
>
> The error that I get right now is:
>
> HTTP Status 404 - /jsp/snp/snoop.jsp/foo
> The requested resource (/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp/foo) is not available.
>
> Please note that:
>
> http://localhost:8080/context/servlet/Bar/foo
>
> Works just fine. I don't see why it shouldn't also work with file extension
> mapping.
>
> thanks,
>
> -jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous