Posted to announce@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@apache.org> on 2009/01/05 21:25:04 UTC

[ANN] Maven Assembly Plugin 2.2-beta-3 Released

The Maven team is pleased to announce the release of the Maven Assembly
Plugin, version 2.2-beta-3

This plugin is used to create custom archives using the build output,
dependencies, and other files owned by a Maven project. You can find
more information, including instructions and examples, at:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/

You should specify the version in your project's plugin configuration:

<plugin>
  <version>2.2-beta-3</version>
</plugin>

Release Notes - Maven 2.x Assembly Plugin - Version 2.2-beta-3

** Sub-task
     * [MASSEMBLY-361] - Fix MASSEMBLY-285 default behaviour to be the
correct behaviour

** Bug
     * [MASSEMBLY-75] - Unpacked TAR dependencies do not preserve file
mode nor uid/gid
     * [MASSEMBLY-165] - Test error on Windows XP + Cygwin
     * [MASSEMBLY-190] - Problem with dependency conflict resolution on
multi-module project
     * [MASSEMBLY-196] - use of repository assembly is no longer working
     * [MASSEMBLY-201] - classifier not included in name of dependency set
     * [MASSEMBLY-211] - assembly plugin and jar plugin disagree about
whether to use uniqueVersion snapshot names
     * [MASSEMBLY-213] - jar-with-dependencies and signed jars issue again
     * [MASSEMBLY-217] - <outputFileNameMapping> needs to report collision.
     * [MASSEMBLY-230] - <fileset> not filtering resources, but <files>
does filter
     * [MASSEMBLY-236] - assembly:assembly resolves excluded artifacts
     * [MASSEMBLY-237] - lineEnding ignored in a child project
     * [MASSEMBLY-238] - Assembly plugin removes file permissions
     * [MASSEMBLY-241] - Multiple includes in dependencySet
     * [MASSEMBLY-242] - transitive dependencies do not get included
     * [MASSEMBLY-245] - Manifest Section configuration does not work
properly
     * [MASSEMBLY-251] - NullPointer wehn using scope system in a
dependencySet
     * [MASSEMBLY-256] - Regression: pom properties are no longer
expanded in descriptor.
     * [MASSEMBLY-264] - Filtering in Assembly Generates Blank Files in
the Archive
     * [MASSEMBLY-270] - Assembly does not resolved managed dependencies
correctly
     * [MASSEMBLY-280] - Regression: Dependency resolution for
dependencySets does broken things
     * [MASSEMBLY-284] - regression: line ending setting is not honoured
     * [MASSEMBLY-285] - regression: duplicate files added to the assembly
     * [MASSEMBLY-287] - Unable to pass -DskipAssembly=true through the
command line to skip the assembly plugin.
     * [MASSEMBLY-291] - attach the resulting assembly not working as
expected
     * [MASSEMBLY-293] - <fileSets> not filtered in multimodule build,
but <files> are
     * [MASSEMBLY-294] - Regression - dependency is skipped?
     * [MASSEMBLY-297] - Assembly broke on GNU/Linux - NullPointerException
     * [MASSEMBLY-298] - Includes/Excludes within <unpackOptions> are
ignored
     * [MASSEMBLY-300] - Regression: outputFileNameMapping variable
resolution
     * [MASSEMBLY-301] - assembly:attach wrongly renames/overwrites
assemblies to the primary artifact
     * [MASSEMBLY-302] - Maven assembly plugin should use
plexus-archiver version
     * [MASSEMBLY-306] - Dependency resolution fails with an NPE for a
provided dependency with a fixed version
     * [MASSEMBLY-308] - Syntax Problem in Example Doco
     * [MASSEMBLY-309] - outputFileNameMapping fails and includes
parent's name
     * [MASSEMBLY-312] - outputFileNameMapping not respected when the
unpack=true
     * [MASSEMBLY-314] - Multiple inclusion of dependencies in binary
assembly
     * [MASSEMBLY-318] - Example to attach assembly to package incorrect
     * [MASSEMBLY-319] - Cannot bind to lifecycle with multiple modules
     * [MASSEMBLY-322] - Filtering in filesets in multimodule build does
not work
     * [MASSEMBLY-328] - When assembly is attached to pom with
appendAssemblyId disabled, it won't be installed or deployed
     * [MASSEMBLY-331] - assembly descriptor doesn't seem to property
substitute properties
     * [MASSEMBLY-340] - Filtering doesn't work for multimodule assembly
builds
     * [MASSEMBLY-341] - Fat JAR assemblies may result in JARs with
duplicate files
     * [MASSEMBLY-342] - NPE when filtering fileSet
     * [MASSEMBLY-345] - a"ppxml attribute is required" error when
making ears with the assembly plugin
     * [MASSEMBLY-351] - ${project.xxxx} is not interpolated in the
descriptor
     * [MASSEMBLY-354] - useTransitiveFiltering does NOT include
artifacts whose dependency trail matches one of the include patterns
when it has wildcards
     * [MASSEMBLY-355] - I get duplicate files in my
"-jar-with-dependencies.jar"
     * [MASSEMBLY-375] - Leading slash in Windows when including one
file in archive.

** Improvement
     * [MASSEMBLY-76] - [assembly plugin] improve or clarify
inheriting/reusing descriptors
     * [MASSEMBLY-159] - Add FAQ about building multi-module assemblies
from the top using Maven 2.0
     * [MASSEMBLY-216] - archive element in assembly descriptor
     * [MASSEMBLY-239] - In format dir, be able to create a dir without
the suffix .dir
     * [MASSEMBLY-366] - DependencySet info message should be changed to
debug level

Enjoy,

-The Maven team

Re: [ANN] Maven Assembly Plugin 2.2-beta-3 Released

Posted by Paul <pa...@nosphere.org>.
Thanks a lot for all the work, this release was truly awaited !

Posted by TM <Th...@unibas.ch>.
This was eagerly awaited. Thanks for the good work!

However, I've found one minor difference that caused a change in my assembly
descriptors when upgrading from 2.2-beta-1 to 2.2-beta-3. So far, it was
possible to exclude an entire directory from a fileset just by listening its
name, as in the following exclude ('bin' folder):

<fileSet>
	<directory>assemblies/minimal/src/main/release</directory>
	<outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
	<excludes>
		<exclude>bin</exclude>
	</excludes>
</fileSet>

With the upgrade to beta-3 this does not to work any longer because the
target assembly contained the bin folder (and its content). I had to replace
the exclude tag as follows:

<fileSet>
	<directory>assemblies/minimal/src/main/release</directory>
	<outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
	<excludes>
		<exclude>bin/**</exclude>
	</excludes>
</fileSet>

I cross checked the maven-assembly-plugin Web site for documentation of the
pattern format without success. I guess, somewhere, it is documented, but I
couldn't find it (as fast as I would like to). It would be good to update
the documentation and add links to the place where the pattern format is
documented.

Regards,
Thorsten