Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Skand Gupta <sk...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/07 21:28:27 UTC

Index compatibility between Solr releases.

We have a fairly large (in the order of 10s of TB) indices built using Solr
3.5. We are considering migrating to Solr 4.3 and was wondering what the
policy is on maintaining backward compatibility of the indices? Will 4.3
work with my 3.5 indexes? Because of the large data size, I would ideally
like to move new data to 4.3 and gradually re-index all the 3.5 indices.

Thanks,
- Skand.

Re: Index compatibility between Solr releases.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Solr strives to keep backwards-compatible 1 major revision, so 4.x
should be able to work with 3.x indexes. One caution though, well
actually two.

1> If you have a master/slave setup, upgrade the _slaves_ first. If
you upgrade a master fist and it merges segments, then the slaves
won't be able to read the 4.x formst.

2> make backups first <G>...

BTW, when the segments are written, they should be written in 4.x
format. So I've heard of people doing the migration, then forcing an
optimize just to bring all the segments up to the 4.x format.

Best
Erick