Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dominique Henriot <do...@lxsolutions.com> on 2002/10/18 13:55:37 UTC

Which O/R layout most used with Struts

Hi all,

I guess this is a common question but I didn't found a satisfying answer in
the mail archive.

I had a look at Torque, Expresso and OJB and my question is which one (or
other) you are using ther easiest way with Struts.
I know you might tell me it's depending your practises, but please let me
know about your experience with one.

Thanks all.

Dom

Re: Which O/R layout most used with Struts

Posted by Adam Sherman <ad...@teachandtravel.com>.
Dominique Henriot wrote:
> I had a look at Torque, Expresso and OJB and my question is which one (or
> other) you are using ther easiest way with Struts.
> I know you might tell me it's depending your practises, but please let me
> know about your experience with one.

A tip, make sure you do not have anything data related interacting with
Struts. I hide all persistence from the Struts Actions to make my
business layer independant of web-based apps. Oh, and I'm using
Hibernate with good results.

P.S. The above is not my idea, it's a standard pattern.

A.

--
Adam Sherman
Software Developer

Re: Which O/R layout most used with Struts

Posted by Jin Bal <ji...@hotmail.com>.
Try searching the OJB mail archive - it has been discussed extensively there

Posted by Jin Bal <ji...@hotmail.com>.
I've recently had to make the same decision and looked at (among others -
castor,hibernate) the ones you specified.

I ended up going with OJB because it seemed the simplest to start with.

One of the main things that attracted me to OJB was the idea of clean
transparent persistence - that is your persistent objects do not need to
implement an interface or extend any ojb classes - you just "tell" OJB about
them in the XML config and "bob's your uncle" OJB does the rest (almost).

I'm not saying I did a *proper* technical comparison so pls don't ask me to

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Also consider if you just need persistence DAO w/o O/R. (No reason to
have a Customer Object, if you just need a list of customers)
Just working with relational, and RowSets.
My guess (no data to back it up) is that roll your own is most
pre-revenant in production sites.
(of course free DAO/RowSet on basicPortal.sf.net is good :-)
.V