Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Steve Nisbet <S....@mmu.ac.uk> on 2010/03/24 22:13:10 UTC

Ubuntu Installtion issues solved

Hi folks,
with due thanks to Hugh, Ross,Scott and Paul I've got a working Wookie install and deployed widgets on Ubuntu 9 series (actually
Linux Mint). The journey has highlighted a couple of issues Paul has taken on board, and I have said I will put the method
together in a doc for the community to follow. I guess some of the issues will get cleared up, but here's a brief breakdown.

a) I had a conflict with the servlet-api.2.5.jar and Tomcat's own equivalent, solved by ditching the one in the ~/WEB-INF
directory

b) ant deploys the wrong copy of /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/wookie/WEB-INF/classes/hibernate.cfg.xml for a MySQL based install -
using the Derby copy of the script rather than the mysql copy found at
scripts\mysql\hibernate.cfg.xml.

c) I was installing Wookie as ROOT, and of course ant is thereby deploying stuff as root into a directory structure owned by
root, but to which Tomcat requires write access. Sorting the access out on the Upload and a couple of other directories cleared
the problem I had of missing Widgets.

Again, thanks all, I will write up a step by step that can be used for Ubuntu 9 users.

best wishes

Steve

Learning Resource Manager
Learning & Research Technologies
LRIS
Manchester Metropolitan University

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the
Manchester Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer

Re: Ubuntu Installtion issues solved

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 24/03/2010 22:23, Scott Wilson wrote:
> On 24 Mar 2010, at 21:13, Steve Nisbet wrote:

>> c) I was installing Wookie as ROOT, and of course ant is thereby
>> deploying stuff as root into a directory structure owned by root,
>> but to which Tomcat requires write access. Sorting the access out
>> on the Upload and a couple of other directories cleared the problem
>> I had of missing Widgets.
>
> Fernando had that issue too - I was wondering about doing a
> "diagnostics" check on startup for this kind of thing - deploy folder
> exists and is readable, wservices exists and is writable etc.

+1

Ross

Re: Ubuntu Installtion issues solved

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 24 Mar 2010, at 21:13, Steve Nisbet wrote:

> Hi folks,
> with due thanks to Hugh, Ross,Scott and Paul I've got a working Wookie install and deployed widgets on Ubuntu 9 series (actually
> Linux Mint).

Yay!

> The journey has highlighted a couple of issues Paul has taken on board, and I have said I will put the method
> together in a doc for the community to follow. I guess some of the issues will get cleared up, but here's a brief breakdown.
>
> a) I had a conflict with the servlet-api.2.5.jar and Tomcat's own equivalent, solved by ditching the one in the ~/WEB-INF
> directory
>
> b) ant deploys the wrong copy of /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/wookie/WEB-INF/classes/hibernate.cfg.xml for a MySQL based install -
> using the Derby copy of the script rather than the mysql copy found at
> scripts\mysql\hibernate.cfg.xml.

That's weird. Did you set it up in build.properties? E.g.:

# Only one of the following should be set.
# If you choose derby you need to do no addiitonal configuration, if you choose mySQL
# project.using.derby=true
project.using.mysql=true