Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2020/03/02 17:22:50 UTC

Proposal: Note on web site that Tomcat 10 is a milestone-release

Re: Re: Proposal: Note on web site that Tomcat 10 is a milestone-release

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Richard,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 4:42 AM Richard Huntrods <hu...@athabascau.ca>
wrote:

> On 3/4/2020 6:28 AM, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> >> the

> >> yes exactly, so many frameworks are going to do that (wait)
> >> So not release any artifacts that use the new jakarta api's
> >> So that means that for many people they can't start test or use Tomcat
> 10..
> >> Because who is using plain servlet api only?
> >> Any 3rd part dependency is your code  that uses some javax.servlet
> package
> >> needs to make a special release..
> >> This will take ages, not to mention will only be really done for the
> latest
> >> releases of those packages (like Wicket 9)
> >>
> > There is no official release of Jakarta EE 9 yet!
> > I didn't even bother to replace javax.servlet:servlet-api Maven
> dependency
> > with the Jakarta one in Wicket.
> > I just used https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration to
> migrate
> > (already built) wicket-examples.war and it worked fine!
> > Later I tried to do the same with a Spring Boot based application but the
> > migration tool faced some problems with the nested archives in Boot's
> > special packaging.
> >
> > Tomcat 10.0.x is for early adopters to test it and report issues. But as
> > Chris suggested we should make this more clear in the docs!
> > I've committed some improvements. If anyone have more ideas for
> improvement
> > I'll be happy to apply them! :-)
>
> Thank you for that Martin. I installed 10.0.x today, and as expected it
> broke because all my servlets are based on javax. I grabbed a copy of
> the migration tool. Sadly (for me) it required Maven to build, but after
> some hesitency, I grabbed Maven and installed that (it was really easy).

Thank you for the feedback!
I've added Maven Wrapper script to the project so that it is easier for
non-Maven users like you to build the migration tool without much
hesitency! ;-)
https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration/commit/198e510a67cec569e91cc2cc87e4f4adb181f753

Martin

Posted by Richard Huntrods <hu...@athabascau.ca>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@servoy.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Johan,

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@servoy.com>.
Martin :)

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Johan,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 7:23 PM Christopher Schultz <