Posted to commits@openoffice.apache.org by co...@apache.org on 2013/03/08 16:47:00 UTC

[CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Distribution Strategic Plan

Space: Apache OpenOffice Community (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS)
Page: Distribution Strategic Plan (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Distribution+Strategic+Plan)

Added by Rob Weir:
h2. Where we are today

The Apache OpenOffice project distributes source and binaries as follows:
|| Distribution Method\\ || What is distributed \\ || Volume \\ ||
| SourceForge \\ | Install sets (including Updates)\\
 Language packs \\ | 120-170K per day\\
 \~20 TB per day \\ |
| Apache mirrors \\ | Source tarballs\\
 (Also fallback up for binaries)\\ | Unknown \\ |
| Third parties, such as\\
 Amazon, FileHippo, Chip.de, etc.\\ | Install sets \\ | Not known in all cases, but appears to be significant. \\ |

h2. What is working well today

* We have the ability to support the high-volume of downloads that is generated by the popularity of the project.
* We have a good working relationship with SourceForge.
* Service level is high.  Reports of downtime are rare to nonexistent.

h2. Challenges

* Several imposter websites have popped up, and are advertising on Google and Bing and are offering adulterated versions of OpenOffice, confusing users.
* We get occasional notes from users who require physical media, but we have no official or vetted distributors to point them to.
* As we increase the number of languages supported and have additional releases, the release matrix of versions*platforms*languages may be harder to accommodate.
* We have no patch mechanism.  Even a single minor fix requires that we rebuild, package and distribute the full matrix of binaries.
* We lack an in-product way to download and apply updates.
* Install experience on Linux is sub-optimal.
* Low conversion rate of downloads to engaged users.  Although we have 40 million downloads, the number of engaged users on announcement list or social media is only 0.05% of that.
* Our binaries are not using code signing, a technique increasingly encouraged on Windows and MacOS.  These platforms have made UI changes that now discourage installation of unsigned binaries.
* We're highly reliant on a single 3rd party for hosting our binaries.

h2. High Level Goals

*
*

h2. Specific Tasks to Support Goals