Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net> on 2003/11/04 01:24:44 UTC

RE: Things a newbie would like to see covered in your upcoming book

How's it feel to want? (Sorry, that's my dad's idea of a joke).

Actually, the most important stuff is already in there.

> * A detailed explanation of the rewind cycle

YES

> * Why you need a two types of links (Direct Link and Action Link).

I actually don't mention ActionLink in the book because I don't feel its all that useful.

> * Why you need a listener for the ListEdit control and what
> it does for you.

YES

> * An example of a CRUD screen.

YES -- in terms of the Vlib.

> * A list of best practices.

Throughout the book.

> * A comparison of a JSP app and a tapestry app.

Nope. There are other books for doing comparisons, that's a distraction. There's limited discussions
about servlets and such.

> * Where things should typically be initialized.

YES

> * Differences between Foreach and ListEdit and why two
> different types of
> iterator components are required.

YES

> * Validation and how it works at a detailed level.

YES

> * Lots of detail on how scripting works with plenty of examples.

YES

> * Why ActionLink wasn't work inside a ListEdit.

NOPE

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
At 11:24 AM 4/11/2003, you wrote:

> > * Why you need a two types of links (Direct Link and Action Link).
>
>I actually don't mention ActionLink in the book because I don't feel its
>all that useful.

Should it's use be considered deprecated then?  It certainly wasn't clear
to me which one I should be using.

> > * A comparison of a JSP app and a tapestry app.
>
>Nope. There are other books for doing comparisons, that's a distraction.
>There's limited discussions
>about servlets and such.

Maybe.  I was thinking it would be useful because most people would be
coming from the that world and it's quiet different in tapestry land.

Regards,

Glen