Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Barry Pape <bp...@netspend.com> on 2007/10/30 22:55:57 UTC

zip update

Howdy Ant Gurus,

We recently experienced a dramatic increase in our build time (~100
minutes) for one of our projects.  Upon looking into this, I came to the
conclusion that the adding 4 more passes of a task that updates a zip
file is the culprit.  This increased the size of the jar by ~40MB, and
the number of files by ~4500.  So I am trying to understand more about
why this is the case so I can manage the build time better.

Am I correct, that when the zip task's update attribute is set to true
the larger the zip file the longer it takes to update?  Is this because
ant process each file contained in the zip regardless of whether the
files to be added have the same name or path?  Does larger in this case
only refer to the number of files and not the size (ie. it takes longer
to update a zip with 1000 files totaling 30MB than it does to update a
zip with 10 files totaling 60MB)?  Will the number of files being added
considerably change the time it takes to update the zip, or is it
primarily based on my assumption that it's the size of the zip file
being updated that makes the difference?  For instance adding 100 files
to x.zip isn't that much quicker than adding 500 files to x.zip, whereas
adding 100 files to x.zip (which contains 100 files and is 10MB) is
considerably faster than adding 500 files to y.zip (which contains 1000
files and is 40MB).

Thanks,
Barry

Confidentiality Notice!
This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other
writings are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) identified above. This message may contain information
that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure under applicable law. If the receiver of this
information is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or
agent responsible for delivering the information to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reading,
dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this information
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in
error, please notify the sender by return email and delete the
electronic transmission, including all attachments from your
system.

RE: zip update

Posted by Barry Pape <bp...@netspend.com>.
Fixing my last example...100 not 500 files.

[...]

considerably faster than adding 100 files to y.zip (which contains 1000