Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/16 05:43:33 UTC

[classlib][NIO]Fix the FIXMEs

I've attached the patch of Selector implementation for Harmony-41, if it
is accepted, the NIO modules' API should be *completed*, but I found
that there are lots of FIXME and TODOs in the nio module(more than 50!),
and I've found some possibilities to improve the native codes during
Harmony-41 patches creation. I've skimmed over them in Eclipse, and
seems some of them are easy, but most of them need some consideration.

If no one objects, I'm volunteer to look at these FIXMEs and
TODOs(partly because some of them, say, network channel test, are caused
by myself), and do some tidy-up work, further, because this is not an
easy task, would anyone kindly like to help?

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab

Re: [classlib][NIO]Fix the FIXMEs

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Andrew Zhang wrote:
> On 6/16/06, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Andrew Zhang wrote:
>> > Hi, Paulex,
>> >
>> > I'm interested in NIO module and very willing to help you tidyup FIXME
>> > TODO
>> > list.
>> Great! Thank you!
>> >
>> > Do you have any detail plan?
>> Actually....not yet. But seems they can be separated like: file related
>> / network related / spi / buffer.  You are free to select one of them as
>> start, I myself prefer to start at spi, because I was working on
>> Harmony-41 recently, which are highly related to SPI.
>>
>> Ideas?
>

> Thanks Paulex, I'll pick up network related issues.
Great, thank you.

> After a quick view on ServerSocketChannel, SocketChannel, DatagramChannel
> and their implementation,
>
> I found dozens of FIXME, which are mainly focused on performance
> concern and
> native code improvements.
>
> It seems some of they are not very easy to fix, so maybe I need your
> help.
Then don't hesitate to ask in the list:)

Posted by Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
On 6/16/06, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew Zhang wrote:
> > Hi, Paulex,
> >
> > I'm interested in NIO module and very willing to help you tidyup FIXME
> > TODO
> > list.
> Great! Thank you!
> >
> > Do you have any detail plan?
> Actually....not yet. But seems they can be separated like: file related
> / network related / spi / buffer.  You are free to select one of them as
> start, I myself prefer to start at spi, because I was working on
> Harmony-41 recently, which are highly related to SPI.
>
> Ideas?

Thanks Paulex, I'll pick up network related issues.

After a quick view on ServerSocketChannel, SocketChannel, DatagramChannel
and their implementation,

I found dozens of FIXME, which are mainly focused on performance concern and
native code improvements.

It seems some of they are not very easy to fix, so maybe I need your help.

Anyway, I'll have a try. :)

Comments?

> > Thanks!
> >
> > On 6/16/06, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've attached the patch of Selector implementation for Harmony-41, if
> it
> >> is accepted, the NIO modules' API should be *completed*, but I found
> >> that there are lots of FIXME and TODOs in the nio module(more than
> 50!),
> >> and I've found some possibilities to improve the native codes during
> >> Harmony-41 patches creation. I've skimmed over them in Eclipse, and
> >> seems some of them are easy, but most of them need some consideration.
> >>
> >> If no one objects, I'm volunteer to look at these FIXMEs and
> >> TODOs(partly because some of them, say, network channel test, are
> caused
> >> by myself), and do some tidy-up work, further, because this is not an
> >> easy task, would anyone kindly like to help?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Paulex Yang
> >> China Software Development Lab
> >> IBM

> Paulex Yang
> China Software Development Lab
> IBM

Andrew Zhang

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Andrew Zhang wrote:
> Hi, Paulex,
>
> I'm interested in NIO module and very willing to help you tidyup FIXME
> TODO
> list.
Great! Thank you!

Posted by Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Paulex,

I'm interested in NIO module and very willing to help you tidyup FIXME TODO
list.

Do you have any detail plan?

Thanks!

On 6/16/06, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've attached the patch of Selector implementation for Harmony-41, if it
> is accepted, the NIO modules' API should be *completed*, but I found
> that there are lots of FIXME and TODOs in the nio module(more than 50!),
> and I've found some possibilities to improve the native codes during
> Harmony-41 patches creation. I've skimmed over them in Eclipse, and
> seems some of them are easy, but most of them need some consideration.
>
> If no one objects, I'm volunteer to look at these FIXMEs and
> TODOs(partly because some of them, say, network channel test, are caused
> by myself), and do some tidy-up work, further, because this is not an
> easy task, would anyone kindly like to help?
>
> --
> Paulex Yang
> China Software Development Lab
> IBM