Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dwayne A. Ghant" <dg...@temple.edu> on 2007/06/12 20:32:00 UTC

Help with tomcat 5.0.28 loadbalancing

Almost got it loadbalancing almost wokring.... need minor help
finishing off. Things have chang since I havn't did this in about
3 years. I keep getting error messages in my "mod_jk.log" file below
every time apache initializes. The connector seems to acting strange!!

Can someone please look over my work here and point out the errors????
I've been looking at it too long.

Thank you for your time.

httpd.conf:
#
# Load mod_jk
# This was added by Dwayne A. Ghant (6.11.07)
# This add loadbalancing capabilities to tomcat server

LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so

#
# Configure mod_jk
#
JkWorkersFile conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel inf

workers.properties:
#
# workers.properties
#

# In Unix, we use forward slashes:
ps=/

# list the workers by name

worker.list=tomcat5_0_28A, tomcat5_0_28B, loadbalancer

# ------------------------
# First tomcat server
# ------------------------
worker.tomcat5_0_28A.port=11009
worker.tomcat5_0_28A.host=localhost
worker.tomcat5_0_28A.type=ajp13

# Specify the size of the open connection cache.
#worker.tomcat1.cachesize

#
# Specifies the load balance factor when used with
# a load balancing worker.
# Note:
#  ----> lbfactor must be > 0
#  ----> Low lbfactor means less work done by the worker.
worker.tomcat5_0_28A.lbfactor=100

# ------------------------
# Second tomcat server
# ------------------------
worker.tomcat5_0_28B.port=12009
worker.tomcat5_0_28B.host=localhost
worker.tomcat5_0_28B.type=ajp13

# Specify the size of the open connection cache.
#worker.tomcat2.cachesize

#
# Specifies the load balance factor when used with
# a load balancing worker.
# Note:
#  ----> lbfactor must be > 0
#  ----> Low lbfactor means less work done by the worker.
worker.tomcat5_0_28B.lbfactor=100

# ------------------------
# Load Balancer worker
# ------------------------

#
# The loadbalancer (type lb) worker performs weighted round-robin
# load balancing with sticky sessions.
# Note:
#  ----> If a worker dies, the load balancer will check its state
#        once in a while. Until then all work is redirected to peer
#        worker.
worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=tomcat5_0_28A, tomcat5_0_28B

#
# END workers.properties
#

mod_jk.log:
[Tue Jun 12 14:21:50 2007] [5225:30880] [info]  init_jk::mod_jk.c
(2743): mod_jk/1.2.23 initialized
[Tue Jun 12 14:21:51 2007] [5226:30880] [warn]
jk_map_read_property::jk_map.c (432): The attribute
'worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers' is deprecated - please check the
documentation for the correct replacement.
[Tue Jun 12 14:21:51 2007] [5226:30880] [info]  init_jk::mod_jk.c
(2743): mod_jk/1.2.23 initialized

Dwayne A. Ghant
Application Developer
Temple University
215.204.3467
dghant@temple.edu

RE: Help with tomcat 5.0.28 loadbalancing

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dwayne A. Ghant [mailto:dghant@temple.edu]
> Subject: Re: Help with tomcat 5.0.28 loadbalancing
>
> When I say weird I mean that I changed both instances of the "<tomcat
> homes(1&2)>/webapps/ROOT/index.jsp" to read:
>
> Since I have changed both of them the old "index.jsp" file
> keep coming up as default.

The ROOT/index.jsp file is precompiled and actually being loaded from
ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/catalina-root.jar, as can be seen by looking in
ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml servlet mappings.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Help with tomcat 5.0.28 loadbalancing

Posted by "Dwayne A. Ghant" <dg...@temple.edu>.
Thanks Felix

That seemed to be the problem. Who can resist typo's !!! lol

When I say weird I mean that I changed both instances of the "<tomcat
homes(1&2)>/webapps/ROOT/index.jsp"
to read:

"Tomcat A"
=================================
<center>
<%= request.getSession().getId() %>
<h1>Tomcat A</h1>

"Tomcat B"
=================================
<center>
<%= request.getSession().getId() %>
<h1>Tomcat B</h1>

Since I have changed both of them the old "index.jsp" file keep coming
up as default.
The file that says "If you're seeing this page via a web browser, it
means you've setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!"

I know that it's something simple, but sometimes when looking at this
thing 3 days
straight I can go a little senile.

Thank you for your time.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.