Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Mike P. Mikhailov" <mi...@sibtel.ru> on 2003/08/12 12:47:30 UTC

Re[2]: How to restart the root server from within modperl?

Hello Dirk Lutzebaeck,

Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 3:50:01 PM, you wrote:

DL> Dennis Stout writes:
DL>  > On a whim, I would try writing a second script to do the actual shutdown and
DL>  > restart of Apache.
DL>  >
DL>  > Then have your mod_perl program either run it in the background (with a &) or
DL>  > fork it into another process.

DL> Did exactly that but is has the effect that when the parent (root)
DL> apache is killed it kills all children including the script itself. So
DL> the server wont start again.

DL> Dirk

Try double fork. I'm used this approach to start long running job.
Job must be done even apache process die. So they completly detached
from parent apache process.

Read this, I hope this relevant

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html#Avoiding_Zombie_Processes

--
WBR, Mike P. Mikhailov

mailto: mike@sibtel.ru
ICQ:    280990142

If you put three drops of poison into a 100 percent pure Java, you get - Windows.
If you put a few drops of Java into Windows, you still have Windows.