Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Garth Keesler <ga...@gdcjk.com> on 2007/12/30 14:04:39 UTC

O'Reilly EJB 3.0 Book Question

I use the O'Reilly EJB 3.0 book extensively. It is really in two parts:
the EJB half and the JBoss half. Should I be able to follow the EJB half
pretty closely with GMO or are there differences that will make that not
very useful?

Thx,
Garth

Re: O'Reilly EJB 3.0 Book Question

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Dec 30, 2007 2:04 PM, Garth Keesler <ga...@gdcjk.com> wrote:
> I use the O'Reilly EJB 3.0 book extensively. It is really in two parts:
> the EJB half and the JBoss half. Should I be able to follow the EJB half
> pretty closely with GMO or are there differences that will make that not
> very useful?

I read the book a couple of times and whenever I have an issue
understanding EJB3 spec I come back to it and the spec itself (I like
the way the interceptors are presented). They both are invaluable. I
really like the way Richard and Bill wrote it.

BTW: the book contains a lot of programming errors so you need to take
these examples with a grain of salt. I have noted them all and the
list is huge. Despite it, I think the book is certainly one of the
best about ejb3 and everybody who works with ejb3 should read it from
cover to cover.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: O'Reilly EJB 3.0 Book Question

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Dec 30, 2007, at 5:04 AM, Garth Keesler wrote:

> I use the O'Reilly EJB 3.0 book extensively. It is really in two
> parts: the EJB half and the JBoss half. Should I be able to follow
> the EJB half pretty closely with GMO or are there differences that
> will make that not very useful?

Right, there used to be workbooks for a few vendors (WebLogic, etc.),
but eventually the JBoss one was just merged into the book.

You should be able to use it in conjunction with Geronimo.  The steps
required are obviously different, but the examples should run provided
you add any required config data in your Geronimo descriptors.

-David