Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/01/10 02:38:49 UTC

Web accessibility guidelines -- which ones?

I've started taking a look at our website from the perspective of
accessibility.  Since the website is mainly human-authored HTML, with
many authors over several years, we'll need to check individual pages
for problems.  I was going to focus on the top 50 or so pages, which
account for the vast majority of website visits.

I found a number of scanning tools, both web-based and standalone,
that looked good.  However,  there was a confusing (to me) number of
authorities for accessibility standards.  For example, one tool (Total
Validator) offered to check against the following 6 guidelines:

US Section 508
WCAG v1 A
WCAG v1 AA
WCAG 2.0 A
WCAG 2.0 AA
WCAG 2.0 AAA

Does anyone have a good sense for which one is the most
useful/appropriate for our website?

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Web accessibility guidelines -- which ones?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Christophe Strobbe
<st...@hdm-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree that WCAG 2.0 is the way to go; the current Section 508 is still
> based on a pre-final version of WCAG 1.0 and will hopefully get updated by
> the end of the year.
> I wouldn't aim higher than WCAG 2.0 AA; even WCAG 2.0 A may be a challenge
> at the start.
> With regard to tools, I currently don't know what to recommend because I
> haven't evaluated any such tools recently. WebAIM's WAVE
> <http://wave.webaim.org/> (and the Firefox toolbar
> <http://wave.webaim.org/toolbar/>) and the IDRC's AChecker
> <http://achecker.ca/checker/index.php> were developed by competent teams.
> I don't know who's behind Total Validator (meaning: I don't know the
> developers).

Thanks. I'll take a look at the other tools as well.  The thing I
liked about Total Validator is it integrates HTML validation, CSS
validation, accessibility checking and spell checking in a single
tool.   I'm seeing errors in all of these areas (though spelling
errors are most usually US versus UK inconsistencies), so it would be
good to fix them all at once.

Regards,

-Rpb

Posted by Christophe Strobbe <st...@hdm-stuttgart.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
“Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm
to ask for what you want."
                                  -- Joseph Wood Crutch

On Jan 10, 2014 7:19 AM, "Christophe Strobbe" <st...@hdm-stuttgart.de>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> U.S. conformance can be found here:
> >>
> >> http://www.access-board.gov/attachments/article/490/draft-rule.pdf
> >>
> >> Also, relevant parts of the European Union EN 301 549 (

http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/301500_301599/301549/01.00.00_20/en_301549v010000c.pdf
> >> ) as work of the European Commision (EC) Mandate M 376 (
> >> http://www.mandate376.eu/ ) are also based on WCAG v2.0 level A and AA.
> >>
> >> So running conformance validators for WCAG 2.0 A, AA, & AAA is probably
> >> the correct choice in reworking the web site.
> >>

> > Thanks for the explanation,
> >
> > One question:  would we need to run against each of the profiles, or
> > AAA include AA and A automatically?  In other words, is AA a superset
> > of A, and AAA a superset of AA?  Or are they more like incremental
> > rule sets, that need to be applied in addition to the base rule sets?

It's been quite a while since I did any work like this -- for Section 508
validation and appropriate changes -- but I liked the stand alone tools
best due to their bulk efficiency. I don't know what's available now,
however.

And, good to get some information about international standards.
Hopefully, the tools will address this requirement also.

Posted by Christophe Strobbe <st...@hdm-stuttgart.de>.
Hi Rob, All,

Posted by Christophe Strobbe <st...@hdm-stuttgart.de>.
Hi Rob, All,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christophe Strobbe <st...@hdm-stuttgart.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Tyler Kavanaugh <tw...@kc.rr.com>.
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your much more extensive treatment of the subject. I had
thought only S508 would be sufficient, but I now stand corrected.

-Tyler

Posted by V Stuart Foote <VS...@utsa.edu>.
Rob,  *,

Posted by V Stuart Foote <VS...@utsa.edu>.
Rob,  *,

Posted by Tyler Kavanaugh <tw...@kc.rr.com>.

On 1/9/2014 7:38 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> I've started taking a look at our website from the perspective of
> accessibility.
I appreciate this, Rob. Great start, now that the product is
implementing more accessibility interfaces and tools.
>  Since the website is mainly human-authored HTML, with
> many authors over several years, we'll need to check individual pages
> for problems.  I was going to focus on the top 50 or so pages, which
> account for the vast majority of website visits.
>
> I found a number of scanning tools, both web-based and standalone,
> that looked good.  However,  there was a confusing (to me) number of
> authorities for accessibility standards.  For example, one tool (Total
> Validator) offered to check against the following 6 guidelines:
>
> US Section 508
> WCAG v1 A
> WCAG v1 AA
> WCAG 2.0 A
> WCAG 2.0 AA
> WCAG 2.0 AAA
>
> Does anyone have a good sense for which one is the most
> useful/appropriate for our website?
Given that the website, to my knowledge, does not have much in the way
of multimedia (Flash animations, etc) or dynamic content, US Section 508
is going to be our best bet. The other tools that we use (MWiki and
CWiki) already implement accessibility to at least these standards by
default. TK.

Posted by Tyler Kavanaugh <tw...@kc.rr.com>.