Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bernard <bh...@actrix.gen.nz> on 2005/03/18 01:15:51 UTC

Tomcat startup with jsvc on Linux

Hi,

How can I start Tomcat with jsvc so that the jsvc command returns
control to the command prompt or script exactly after the
"Daemon started successfully" ?

I would like it to behave in the same way as other services such as
Apache httpd so I can cod success and failure messages in the script.

The supplied script redirects output to a log file and in that way
jsvc returns immediately, long before writing "Daemon started
successfully" to the log file.

If I do NOT code the
    -outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
    -errfile '&1' \
parameters, then the command does not return at all and I have to
press [Enter] or [Ctrl+C] at the console.

It looks as if I am lacking some knowledge here.

Many thanks for your help,

Bernard