Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/14 08:32:12 UTC

[VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Here's the Lang 2.4 RC2 for your delectation:

 http://people.apache.org/~bayard/staging/commons-lang-2.4-rc2/

It's built from an export of
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/tags/LANG_2_4_RC2
and the Ant build built fine for me under JDK 1.3.

Note: The findbugs and cobertura reports are commented out in the
pom.xml because they were causing OutOfMemory errors.  One of the
website files will need updating with the release date.

Changes since RC1 are:

* Fix to project.xml and pom.xml so the developer lists are the same.
* Hardcode the version into the src/assembly/src.xml to get around a Maven bug.
* Fix to the site nav javadoc link to be 2.4 and not 2.3.

Should we release it?

[ ] +1
[ ] -1

Thanks,

Hen

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Time & effort? :)

1.1 and 1.2 on Linux are painful too. Needs an old linux. Otherwise
you need a Windows machine, which I don't have a spare one of.

Hen

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Gary Gregory
<GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:

Hold your horses :)

Just did it.

I'll wait til tomorrow night to do an RC3. In case anyone finds anything else.

Hen

RE: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Gary

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.
Gary Gregory skrev  den 15-03-2008 02:08:
> The build looks good on all 9 SDKs I tested:
> http://garygregory.com/os/builds/commons-lang-2.4/index.html

In case you are interested the IBM JDK is available as part of their IBM
Developer package for Java.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/eclipse/

--
Thorbjørn

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On 3/14/08, Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> The build looks good on all 9 SDKs I tested:

Ok, me browsing through the SVN tag now seems completely inadequate! :)

RE: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14/03/2008, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:41 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 14/03/2008, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > Here's the Lang 2.4 RC2 for your delectation:
>  >  >
>  >  >   http://people.apache.org/~bayard/staging/commons-lang-2.4-rc2/
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  Sigs etc are fine.
>  >
>  >  Ant 1.6.5 and Maven 1.0.2 test OK using Java 1.3.1
>  >
>  >
>  >  >  It's built from an export of
>  >  >  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/tags/LANG_2_4_RC2
>  >  >  and the Ant build built fine for me under JDK 1.3.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Note: The findbugs and cobertura reports are commented out in the
>  >  >  pom.xml because they were causing OutOfMemory errors.  One of the
>  >  >  website files will need updating with the release date.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Changes since RC1 are:
>  >  >
>  >  >  * Fix to project.xml and pom.xml so the developer lists are the same.
>  >  >  * Hardcode the version into the src/assembly/src.xml to get around a Maven bug.
>  >  >  * Fix to the site nav javadoc link to be 2.4 and not 2.3.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Should we release it?
>  >
>  >  It's not easy finding out which versions of Java are supported.
>  >
>  >  The only reference I could find was in the User Manual:
>  >
>  >  "Lang seeks to support Java 1.2 onwards ..."
>  >
>  >  which does not actually promise anything.
>  >
>  >  Please can the supported Java version(s) be documented more clearly?
>

> Will do. Can it be on the website, or does it mean another RC?

Website will do.

>  I want to update the release_history page to say which version each
>  supports, which means sitting down and testing each build on a Windows
>  box so I can get to JDK 1.2 and 1.1(maybe). Then I'll add the 2.4
>  specific note to the front page.

Documenting that 2.4 has been tested with 1.3 would be a start ;-)

>  >  ==
>  >
>  >  The pom.xml <description> refers to:
>  >
>  >  "Commons.Lang, a package of Java utility classes for the ..."
>  >
>  >  Surely this should be "Commons Lang..." ?
>  >
>  >  The description can also be taken to mean that Commons Lang is part of
>  >  java.lang.
>  >
>  >  The descriptions on the website are better.
>

> Will fix. Again - rc blocker?

No

>  >  ==
>  >
>  >  Minor nit:
>  >
>  >  project.properties has the line:
>  >  maven.jdiff.old.tag=LANG_2_1
>  >
>  >  that should probably be LANG_2_3.
>

> Yeah. Though I'm going to suggest deleting the m1 build as soon as the
>  m2 build has proven itself in a release.

>  Any of those blockers? With RM hat on, none of them seem blockers to me.

No. Agreed.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)