Posted to users@felix.apache.org by gharbi jjjj <el...@yahoo.fr> on 2010/08/11 15:53:11 UTC

Installing a bundle

Good morning,

I am trying to install for the first time a bundle using the OSGi technology.

I have followed step by step  the URL
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-tutorial-example-1.html

At the begin, I created a folder named first containing the Activator.java and
manifest.mf files.

Secondly, I change the directory using this command
Cd C:\Users\atef\org.apache.felix.main.distribution-3.0.1\felix-framework-3.0.1

Thirdly, I compile the java file using this command
javac -d c:\classes  -classpath lib\osgi.jar  first\*.java

Then, I change the directory again (cd .\first).

I write the command to create a jar file  :
jar cfm example1.jar manifest.mf -C c:\classes tutorial\example1

I change the directory (cd .. )

I launch the felix environment (  java -jar .\bin\felix.jar    )

Finally, I try to install this new jar by this command

start file:/c:/tutorial/example1.jar

But, only at this step, it does not work. Some errors are written such as

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to cache bundle: file:c:/classes/tuto
rial/example1.jar
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.installBundle(Felix.java:2485)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.installBundle(Felix.java:2441)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.installBundle(BundleCont
extImpl.java:129)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.installBundle(BundleCont
extImpl.java:107)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.command.Basic.start(Basic.java:753)
        at  sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Reflective.method(Reflective.java:136)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.CommandProxy.execute(CommandProxy.java:
82)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Closure.execute(Closure.java:421)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Closure.executeStatement(Closure.java:3
35)
        at  org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Pipe.run(Pipe.java:108)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Closure.execute(Closure.java:184)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Closure.execute(Closure.java:121)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.CommandSessionImpl.execute(CommandSessi
onImpl.java:78)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.shell.Console.run(Console.java:62)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.shell.Shell.console(Shell.java:197)
        at org.apache.felix.gogo.shell.Shell.gosh(Shell.java:123)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown  Source)

NB the jar file is not created (I search it but I did not find).

What do you think the error source ?

With my best regards,

Atef Gharbi.

Re: Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On 11 Aug 2010, at 16:08 , gharbi jjjj wrote:

> Yes, it is in the folder \first. I have tried to install this bundle using this
> command but it does not work
>
> install
> C:\Users\atef\org.apache.felix.main.distribution-3.0.1\felix-framework-3.0.1\first\example1.jar

Last time I looked, install only takes URLs as arguments, so I would try what Richard replied earlier:

install file:first/example1.jar

Greetings, Marcel

Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by gharbi jjjj <el...@yahoo.fr>.
Yes, it is in the folder \first. I have tried to install this bundle using this
command but it does not work

install
C:\Users\atef\org.apache.felix.main.distribution-3.0.1\felix-framework-3.0.1\first\example1.jar

but we find the following message

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to cache bundle: C:Usersateforg.apach
[...]

I do not understand why ???

Atef  Gharbi

________________________________
De : Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>
À : users@felix.apache.org
Envoyé le : Mer 11 août 2010, 15h 02min 27s
Objet : Re: Installing a bundle

On 8/11/10 10:00, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>  You created bundle should be in
>C:\Users\atef\org.apache.felix.main.distribution-3.0.1\felix-framework-3.0.1\first,
> no?

"YOUR created bundle should be in..."

-> richard

Re: Installing a bundle

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by Steven Siebert <sm...@gmail.com>.
Great link, thanks!

Re: Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by Petr Jiricka <Pe...@Sun.COM>.

.

Re: Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by Steven Siebert <sm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Consider using this, you will simplify your life :

http://karaf.apache.org/46-provisioning.html

It use also the PAX url project of OPS4J.

Kind regards,

Charles Moulliard

Senior Enterprise Architect (J2EE, .NET, SOA)
Apache Camel - Karaf - ServiceMix Committer
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com |  Twitter :
http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard | Skype: cmoulliard

Re: Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by "Rémon. Sinnema" <rs...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Re : Installing a bundle

Posted by gharbi jjjj <el...@yahoo.fr>.
It is the right command that I try

  start file:first/example1.jar

I have two questions :

1. Is there any graphical interface to handle bundles in felix as it is the case
with Oscar ?

2. Is there any tool that simplifies the task for creating and generating
bundles (I have found two interesting tools Maven and especially Pax-construct
but unfortunately I did not arrive to obtain a bundle using these tools ) ?

Yours sincerly,

Atef Gharbi.

________________________________
De : Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>
À : users@felix.apache.org
Envoyé le : Mer 11 août 2010, 15h 04min 28s

On 8/11/10 10:00, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>  You created bundle should be in
>C:\Users\atef\org.apache.felix.main.distribution-3.0.1\felix-framework-3.0.1\first,
> no?

Responding to myself yet again, if you did correctly create it in first/, then
you should be able to install and start it with:

Re: Installing a bundle

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: Installing a bundle

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.