Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net> on 2006/06/07 00:19:12 UTC

"strategic oil" spam

http://www.pbp.net/~jnichols/textfiles/spam_060606.txt

Here's an example of one. TONS of these have been slipping through. I
have pretty much every single ruleset that RulesDuJour will install,
plus Bayes, etc.

My big question - is there now a ruleset that lists stock ticker
symbols? I'm thinking that something like that might be a good idea
because of all these pump-n-dump penny stock spams.

I'm about to add 5pts for the word "strategic" since the only people I
know that use it are military, managers, or spammers. :P

Re: "strategic oil" spam

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 03:19:12PM -0700, Jonathan Nichols wrote:
> Here's an example of one. TONS of these have been slipping through. I
> have pretty much every single ruleset that RulesDuJour will install,
> plus Bayes, etc.

Well...

You increased the required score to 6.  It would've been caught using
the default of 5.  With 3.1.2 and sa-update it gets above 6:

[9389] dbg: check: is spam? score=6.819 required=5
[9389] dbg: check: tests=BAYES_50,DCC_CHECK,DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE,MISSING_HB_SEP,MISSING_SUBJECT,TO_CC_NONE,UNPARSEABLE_RELAY

> My big question - is there now a ruleset that lists stock ticker
> symbols? I'm thinking that something like that might be a good idea
> because of all these pump-n-dump penny stock spams.

IMO, chasing the symbols themselves is a lost cause.  You end up with
something like a nigerian set of rules for a bajillion different phrases, then
a meta to try tieing them all together.  It's a pain to manage, typically
prone to FPs, hard to keep up with, and most importantly a resource hog and
time suck.

That said, I've seen several attempts at a symbol list.  There's one in
testing at the moment iirc.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most