Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2003/09/02 18:17:26 UTC

[Fwd: Re: Time for 2.2?]

FYI...

I guess we need to consider how to handle 2.0 versus 2.2 stuff.  things like
auth providers bring with them new constants, header files, etc - stuff we
will be expected to support going forward.

--Geoff

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> Since this is an open source project you can certainly go ahead and
>> start working on supporting 2.1 and 2.2 now. This unfortunately won't
>> help making mp2.0 complete sooner for users that need it.
>

> that depends on whether or not you're a user that requires features in 2.2.

So far I know of no other users but you ;) At least nobody has asked for it
yet on the list. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So if you need it, sure, go
ahead with it.
If you do that you probably need to branch the current HEAD and implement
whatever needs to be implemented. Once we are ready with mp2.0 we can look at
how to merge the two, if at all. That of course means that you will need to
back-(future?)-port all the changes from 2.0 to 2.2 to keep the two in sync.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Time for 2.2?]

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Time for 2.2?]

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>
>>> FYI...
>>>
>>> I guess we need to consider how to handle 2.0 versus 2.2 stuff.
>>> things like auth providers bring with them new constants, header
>>> files, etc - stuff we will be expected to support going forward.
>>

>> Frankly, I think we shouldn't spend a single moment on it at this
>> point. For the same reason as we can't support 2.1 now.
>

> well, I certainly wouldn't go that far.  the moment the annoucement for
> 2.2 runs as
>
>  >> we'd recommend that 2.0 users migrate to 2.2 because it's
>  >> 'stable' and has more feature, blah, blah, blah.
>
> apache 2.0 will quickly become less significant.

in this case it's entirely possible that we simply drop support for 2.0 and
move to support only 2.2, just like we dropped support for httpd < 2.0.46. If
you think of 2.2 as of 2.0.50 or so, this makes total sense, given users are
given enough time to do the transition to Apache 2.2.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Time for 2.2?]

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Time for 2.2?]

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> FYI...
>
> I guess we need to consider how to handle 2.0 versus 2.2 stuff.  things
> like auth providers bring with them new constants, header files, etc -
> stuff we will be expected to support going forward.

Frankly, I think we shouldn't spend a single moment on it at this point. For
the same reason as we can't support 2.1 now.

We need to get 2.0 right first. Remember that we haven't released 2.0 yet.
Once we release it we can start thinking of 2.1 and 2.2. There are too many
things to finish/polish in 2.0 before spending any resources on 2.2.

Also don't forget that the first releases of 2.0 won't be of production
quality and it may take a year and even more before the first production
release will come out.