Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2013/12/13 00:00:11 UTC

[Node 101] Part 0

I've had some time to revisit our codebase and been doing some refactoring.
Its fun. Cordova is an somewhat mature project (or maturing) and with age
comes a few wrinkles.

I'd like for not only our code to get better but all of committership.
Programming is a lifelong learning exercise, and we should share knowledge
and help each other grow.

For my part, I'm going to do a series of posts to the list sharing some
techniques for writing better JavaScript (and Node).

Please chime in! I would love to see [C# 101], [Java 101], [Obj C 101], and
[Bash 101] posts.

Re: [Node 101] Part 0

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>.
Braden wrote:
>I'd be willing to write a Git 101, if there were interest there. We're all
>familiar with the basics now, but some of the more extended features
>(bisecting, stashes and rebases come to mind) might be of interest.

These topics are a compilation based on talking to some other peopleŠ

1. How to identify the git url(s) for a ³repo² when all you have is a url
to some http file viewer:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/blob/33b8b7f599b43a27d627a4f5679e512
1f760e213/docs/en/edge/cordova/inappbrowser/window.open.md
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-docs.git;a=blob_plain;f=d
ocs/en/edge/guide/support/index.md;hb=HEAD
[gerrit]
[reviewboard?]

(Please feel free to provide instructions for other git viewersŠ)

2. Accessing labels (tags, branches) - getting a list, selecting them,

3. How to get a good graphical tree

I¹ve settled on this:
git log --oneline --abbrev-commit --all --graph --decorate
‹ but there¹s probably better onesŠ

4. How to use pull requests (please cover at least github and gerrit)

5. When to use Push, Fetch, Pull, git-format-patch

When/how it is safe/necessary/expected to add a `-f` (e.g. For push to
update a pull request)

6. How to use git-format-patch (both to create and to consume without
dataloss)

7. Splitting commits :)

8. What Graphical GUIs are there/should people use

9. Diffing, how to practically compare two divergent nodesŠ
(I don¹t have a good approach to this, I¹ve sort of settled on:
 A. diff the leaves to see how terribly divergent they are
 B. export the individual commits and diffing them
)

10. Merging / interpreting diff -cc

Re: [Node 101] Part 0

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.