Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Conor Skyler <co...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/31 03:26:46 UTC

Need help to install GoDaddy's SSL certificates on Tomcat 8.0.32 (Amazon Linux)

Hello list,

I'm trying to install the certificates I bought from GoDaddy into my Tomcat
server, however so far I've been unsuccessful to achieve this.

My system specs are:
OS: Amazon Linux (fully updated)
Tomcat version: 8.0.32, installed from the repos
Java version: $ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_91"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b14)

To install the certificates I followed this tutorial from GoDaddy website:
https://ar.godaddy.com/help/tomcat-generate-csrs-and-install-certificates-5239
which explains how to create a KeyStore and configure the <Connector> in
the server.xml file.

Now, judging from the official Tomcat documentation in
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/ssl-howto.html it's stated that I
first need to conver the .crt files provided by GoDaddy to PKCS12 format --
I wonder then why the instructions in GoDaddy's website state other thing!

But then I read this piece of documentation that left me completely
bewildered:
To import an existing certificate signed by your own CA into a PKCS12
keystore using OpenSSL you would execute a command like:

openssl pkcs12 -export -in mycert.crt -inkey mykey.key
                       -out mycert.p12 -name tomcat -CAfile myCA.crt
                       -caname root -chain

In this example there's a reference to a 'mykey.key' file that I don't
have a clue how to obtain it or from where it comes since when I
download the certificates provided by GoDaddy, there's no such .key
file: I can download several different types of certificates in .crt
format but there isn't any .key file to download.

I tried contacting their support and well, they weren't any helpful at
all, they pointed me to the repository where all the certificates are
stored and told me to 'find someone that knows how to handle them' --
thanks for nothing :(

Finally I want to say that I have Tomcat running smooth at port 8080,
I even configured an administrator user to access the status page
which works perfectly, my problem is that I just can't find how to
properly install and configure the SSL.

What I'm not sure though is what part or steps I'm missing, I believe
this has to be much more simpler that it's been so far for me but
seriously I can't wrap my mind around it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this n00b's help scream.

Best regards,
-Conor

Re: Need help to install GoDaddy's SSL certificates on Tomcat 8.0.32 (Amazon Linux)

Posted by Hardibo Pierre-Jean <co...@hardibopj.com>.
there's the tuto :
https://fr.godaddy.com/help/tomcat-generate-csrs-and-install-certificates-5239
use sha2 root and intermediate and for the last use my_certificate
here's the repo :

https://certs.godaddy.com/repository/

Le 04/06/2016 00:18, Hardibo Pierre-Jean a �crit :

Posted by Hardibo Pierre-Jean <co...@hardibopj.com>.

Posted by Conor Skyler <co...@gmail.com>.
Hello Pierre,

Posted by Hardibo Pierre-Jean <co...@hardibopj.com>.
there's all here no ?

Posted by Hardibo Pierre-Jean <co...@hardibopj.com>.
godaddy didn't give you instructions ?

Posted by Conor Skyler <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Conor Skyler <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@pivotal.io>.
wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm trying to install the certificates I bought from GoDaddy into my Tomcat
> server, however so far I've been unsuccessful to achieve this.
>
> My system specs are:
> OS: Amazon Linux (fully updated)
> Tomcat version: 8.0.32, installed from the repos
> Java version: $ java -version
> openjdk version "1.8.0_91"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b14)
>
> To install the certificates I followed this tutorial from GoDaddy website:
>
> https://ar.godaddy.com/help/tomcat-generate-csrs-and-install-certificates-5239
> which explains how to create a KeyStore and configure the <Connector> in
> the server.xml file.

Follow these instructions.