Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Newburn <jn...@zappos.com> on 2008/12/11 01:00:30 UTC

SolrConfig.xml Replication

I am curious as to whether there is a solution to be able to replicate
solrconfig.xml with the 1.4 replication.  The obvious problem is that the
master would replicate the solrconfig turning all slaves into masters with
its config.  I have also tried on a whim to configure the master and slave
on the master so that the slave points to the same server but that seems to
break the replication completely.  Please let me know if anybody has any
ideas

-Jeff

Re: SolrConfig.xml Replication

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Jeff,

Are you using Solr 1.3 replication scripts?  If so, I think it would be pretty simple to:

1) put all additional files to replicate to slaves to a specific location (or use a special naming scheme) on the master
2) write another script that uses scp or rsync to look for those additional files and copy them
3) run this new script whenever snappuller + snapinstaller run: snappuller && snapinstaller && my-file-copying-script

It's not a part of Solr, but it's trivial to add.

Otis

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
The moment the current patch is tested it will be checked in.

--
--Noble Paul

Re: SolrConfig.xml Replication

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,
Thanks.

It would be nice if you just review the config syntax and see if all
possible usecases are covered . Is there any scope for improvement ?

--
--Noble Paul

Re: SolrConfig.xml Replication

Posted by Jeff Newburn <jn...@zappos.com>.
It does appear to be working for us now.  The files replicated out
appropriately which is a huge help.  Thanks to all!

-Jeff

On 12/13/08 9:42 AM, "Shalin Shekhar Mangar" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeff, SOLR-821 has a patch now. It'd be nice to get some feedback if
> you
manage to try it out.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Jeff Newburn
> <jn...@zappos.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response.  I will keep
> an eye on that to see how it
> progresses.
>

> On 12/10/08 8:03 PM, "Noble
> Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ्" <no...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This is a known
> issue and I was planning to take it up soon.

> > On Thu, Dec 11,
> 2008 at 5:30 AM, Jeff Newburn <jn...@zappos.com>
> wrote:
> >> I am curious
> as to whether there is a solution to be able to replicate
> >> solrconfig.xml
> with the 1.4 replication.  The obvious problem is that
> the
> >> master would
> replicate the solrconfig turning all slaves into masters
> with
> >> its
> config.  I have also tried on a whim to configure the master and
> slave
> >>
> on the master so that the slave points to the same server but that seems

> >> break the replication completely.  Please let me know if anybody has
> any
> >> ideas
> >>
> >> -Jeff

Shalin Shekhar

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Jeff, SOLR-821 has a patch now. It'd be nice to get some feedback if you
manage to try it out.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Jeff Newburn <jn...@zappos.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response.  I will keep an eye on that to see how it
> progresses.
>

> On 12/10/08 8:03 PM, "Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ्" <no...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This is a known issue and I was planning to take it up soon.
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-821
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Jeff Newburn <jn...@zappos.com>
> wrote:
> >> I am curious as to whether there is a solution to be able to replicate
> >> solrconfig.xml with the 1.4 replication.  The obvious problem is that
> the
> >> master would replicate the solrconfig turning all slaves into masters
> with
> >> its config.  I have also tried on a whim to configure the master and
> slave
> >> on the master so that the slave points to the same server but that seems
> >> break the replication completely.  Please let me know if anybody has any
> >> ideas
> >>
> >> -Jeff

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: SolrConfig.xml Replication