Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2005/09/27 01:34:06 UTC

10.1 snapshot

I  am getting ready to post a snapshot for 10.1 and have a couple questions.

1) What should the  README file say.

Right now the README says we are in incubation on both the trunk and
10.1 and doesn't seem to have much else in the way of content.  What
should it say now?

Derby is an effort undergoing incubation at the Apache Software Foundation
(ASF), sponsored by the Apache DB project. Incubation is required of all
newly accepted projects until a further review indicates that the
infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have stabilized
in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation
status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of
the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by
the ASF.

2)  Anyone have any objections to removing these two snapshots to avoid
confusion.
Speak up or they're gone. http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html

*Version 10.1 alpha incubator snapshot*
*Version 10.0 incubator snapshot*

Thanks

Kathey

Re: 10.1 snapshot

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> I  am getting ready to post a snapshot for 10.1 and have a couple questions.
>
> 1) What should the  README file say.
>
> Right now the README says we are in incubation on both the trunk and
> 10.1 and doesn't seem to have much else in the way of content.  What
> should it say now?
>
> Derby is an effort undergoing incubation at the Apache Software Foundation
> (ASF), sponsored by the Apache DB project. Incubation is required of all
> newly accepted projects until a further review indicates that the
> infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have stabilized
> in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation
> status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of
> the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by
> the ASF.

A slightly re-worded text of the announcement is a possibility for 10.1
README:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200508.mbox/%3c54ac72d70508031445298f855e@mail.gmail.com%3e

--------------------------
Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project.
You can find Derby on the web at:

http://db.apache.org/derby/

Apache Derby releases can be downloaded from the following page:

http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html

Derby is a pure Java, standards-based relational database engine.
Derby aims to be an easy to use solution for data management for
software developers with zero administration for end users.

The 10.1 release includes a new open source network client driver, as
well as a number of other new features and enhancements:

    * Support for J2ME/CDC/Foundation with JSR-169 JDBC subset
    * Online compress functionality for reclaiming disk space during
operation
    * XA support for Network Server
    * Increased identifier lengths to 128 characters for all identifiers
    * Added SQL: INTERSECT and EXCEPT
    * Added SQL: SYNONYM
    * JDBC Updatable Result Sets
    * ORDER by expressions
    * Allow insertions into an identity column
    * Support for explicit Java method signature in function and
procedure definitions

See the CHANGES file in the distributions for a full list of other changes.

----------------------------

> 2)  Anyone have any objections to removing these two snapshots to avoid
> confusion.
> Speak up or they're gone. http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html
>
> *Version 10.1 alpha incubator snapshot*
> *Version 10.0 incubator snapshot*

I wonder if while you are there, you could expand/clarify the role of
the snapshot. The current text is

'The snapshots listed below, including the Eclipse plug-in, contain
Derby jars that aren't part of an official Derby release.'

Maybe replace with something like, feel free to reword:

'Snapshot jars provide early access to bug fixes and/or features but are
not offical release jars. Snapshots usually have passed functional tests
on a couple of platforms.'

Dan.