Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net> on 2007/09/19 20:38:14 UTC

after configuring with --enable-all-static, many undefined references when linking

I'm on x86 linux (Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS ("Dapper Drake"), if it matters).
gcc (GCC) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)

For what it's worth, repeating the same steps, but without
--enable-all-static, works fine.

Re: after configuring with --enable-all-static, many undefined references when linking

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     Max> Well, the cause is that it's linking with libsasl2.a, not
>     Max> libsasl2.la.
>
> Glad you figured it out.
>
>     Max> Do people use --enable-all-static enough to justify
>     Max> considering this a bug?
>
> I have no idea.  _I_ use it on occasion in order to build a binary on
> box A that will run on box B -- where box B lacks both a development
> environment, and the shared libraries that the released svn needs.

All the following messages in the build output:

    warning: Using '<various>' in statically linked applications
    requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version
    used for linking

make me feel rather dubious about that method.

>     Max> Personally I would never static-link Subversion.
>
> Why not?

I'd never static-link anything at all, under normal circumstances,
because then upgrading a library requires re-linking all its clients,
and there's no easy way to track which version of a static library
something has linked into it.

I might consider static-linking something if I needed to distribute a
binary to work in many different environments, but the warning above re
glibc dynamic libraries required anyway could easily make such an
exercise useless.

Max.

Re: after configuring with --enable-all-static, many undefined references when linking

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    Max> Well, the cause is that it's linking with libsasl2.a, not
    Max> libsasl2.la.

Glad you figured it out.

--
Keaton, Chaplin, Garbo - let them now make room for Gromit.
        A. O. Scott, in The New York Times

Re: after configuring with --enable-all-static, many undefined references when linking

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> I'm on x86 linux (Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS ("Dapper Drake"), if it matters).
> gcc (GCC) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)
>
> For what it's worth, repeating the same steps, but without
> --enable-all-static, works fine.

Well, the cause is that it's linking with libsasl2.a, not libsasl2.la.

Do people use --enable-all-static enough to justify considering this a
bug? Personally I would never static-link Subversion.

Max.