Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2015/02/06 13:03:21 UTC

Re: [incubator-taverna-engine] Generally tidy up the code. (#1)

What is your suggested change to the version numbers?

I've just committed 1-incubating-SNAPSHOT as the new version number of the
Maven parent.

The line of thought I have followed - which I would love your views on:

* Each reposisitory have their own versioning

* All version numbers follow Semantic Versioning 2.0.0
http://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html -- this is used by OSGi to check
compatibility.

* All submodules have the same version as the top pom.xml of the repository
(until a later point point where semantic versioning/OSGi says otherwise)

* All version numbers end in -incubating-SNAPSHOT on master.

* The SNAPSHOT version is the next one that would be released. So if
2.7.2-incubating was released, the SNAPSHOT number should now be
2.7.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT or 2.8.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT or
3.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOPT (depending on semantic versioning - until there
are any new features only the patch level increase)

* Version of Taverna dependencies are declared in <properties> of the
top-level pom of each repository (NOT in Taverna Maven Parent) -- these
will gradually become non-SNAPSHOT as upstream modules have been released.

* To distinguish ourselves from the many 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT etc pre-Apache, we
bump one minor up from the highest version of the submodule. E.g. the new
command line is 3.1.0-SNAPSHOT

* The new version number should correspond with the highest non-Apache
submodule version, e.g. if a repository contains 10 modules that were
2.3.0-SNAPSHOT non-Apache, and 1 that was 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT, the new version
for all modules is 3.1.0-SNAPSHOT

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)

Re: [incubator-taverna-engine] Generally tidy up the code. (#1)

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
> Hm.. should we not switch back to the Apache Taverna parent?? :)

The Apache T3 is using the Apache Taverna parent. The sooner we close
the master branches on github.com/taverna the better. It is very confusing.

Alan

Re: [incubator-taverna-engine] Generally tidy up the code. (#1)

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
Stian, apologies for the confusion.

I had been trying to "fix" the referenced bundles as specified in
taverna-parent. Quite a lot of the ones where we used springsource
bundles now have bundles created by the code originators. Also, because
of confusion in mvnrepository, some supposed "jars" were actually
bundles all along and need not have ever used springsource bundles.

I think it is safest to revert the parent pom to one that T3 CLT can
build against and then slowly slowly update the bundle versions.

Alan