Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org> on 2009/08/25 21:45:55 UTC

Analysis of the Apache web server code repository

Hello everyone,

I am the author of the PanBI <http://www.PanBI.org> open source business
intelligence project. PanBI provides data  extraction, transformation
and loading logic as well as data warehouse schemas for a number of
systems and Subversion - used by Apache - is one of the systems supported.

I have designed a dedicated Subversion data warehouse and loading logic
so that Subversion repository data can be analyzed using OLAP tools. To
demonstrate the functionality, I have made a short screencast
<http://panbi.sourceforge.net/systems/subversion/olap.html> (7 minutes)
using none other than the Apache web server's code repository as the one
under analysis.

I thought it would be interesting for you - elbow deep in the web
server's code - to see visualizations of activity on the project. I also
thought you might consider PanBI valuable in the future as a tool to
monitor activity on the project. I, on the other hand, am very much
interested to hear your comments, opinions and suggestions.

Please keep in mind that the current capabilities, while already quite
useful, are just the tip of the iceberg: PanBI is really embarrassingly
extensible. :) Data extracted from the code repository can be combined
with that of a planning tool or a time tracker to make sure everyone is
working on the right thing at the right time. Branches, diff size,
multiple projects and repositories can be supported, the number of
dimensions extended, additional analysis performed...the list is long.  :)

In conclusion, take a look! I would be happy to answer any of your
questions and look forward to hearing any comments you might have by
mail or on the PanBI forums <http://apps.sourceforge.net/phpbb/panbi/>.

Regards,
Tomislav Nakic-A.

--
http://www.PanBI.org - business intelligence everywhere!

Re: Analysis of the Apache web server code repository

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM, t.n.a. <tn...@sharanet.org> wrote:

> Hi Jeff, thanks for taking the time to take a look!
>
> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >
> > It is fun to be in the "movies;" maybe I'll make my kids sit through
> > it later ;)  (And I'm curious which company you found when you
> > looked up "trawick".)
>
> First link on google:
> http://www.trawick.com/, "Mastering enterprise IT challenges with
> integrity"

That's not me, but it is good to know in case of corporate upheaval ("long
lost cousin" perhaps?).

Just so you know, I substituted:

> "Looked it up.
> It seems it is a company. :)"
>
> with
>
> "Looked it up.
> I was _sure_ it is a company...but was corrected by the Apache devs
> when they saw the video - it's a person. Careful how you interpret the
> data! :)"

works for me

> Cheers,
> Tomislav

Dobar dan

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: Analysis of the Apache web server code repository

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.

Jeff Trawick wrote:

> It is fun to be in the "movies;" maybe I'll make my kids sit through
> it later ;)  (And I'm curious which company you found when you
> looked up "trawick".)

First link on google:
http://www.trawick.com/, "Mastering enterprise IT challenges with
integrity"

> But please note that ASF ids aren't shared.  It is important for the
> integrity of the code that we know who is making contributions.  You
> should remove the overlaid text that suggests that any ASF work is
> being done by a commercial entity using shared ids.

...ups? Sorry about that, the corrected video is now available on-line.
When I saw the time profile of the changes and also saw a web site of
a company called "Trawick" mentioning things like "cost-effective IT
solutions", I guess I saw what I wanted to see.

Just so you know, I substituted:

"Looked it up.
It seems it is a company. :)"

with

"Looked it up.
I was _sure_ it is a company...but was corrected by the Apache devs
when they saw the video - it's a person. Careful how you interpret the
data! :)"

> (All I can say about when I commit historically is that I like to
> sleep at least from midnight to six a.m. US Eastern Time, at least
> when I'm at home ;)  I don't think the same is true of many other
> people ("wrowe").)
:)

Cheers,
Tomislav

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.
Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>> I'm not sure I understand: you use the "Submitted by:" convention in the
>> log message to list the contributors? Why?
>>
> Only if the committer is not the contributor. In this case we use this convention
> to document the provenance of the patch.

I see. I am glad to hear of different ways people use svn and believe
that it would be reasonably simple to extend PanBI svn support to
include this information.
Not that anyone's asking :), but it's not likely that PanBI will
incorporate such specific, per-project functionality: there are loads of
reusable, generic functionality I have planned first...

Cheers,
Tomislav

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 08/27/2009 09:20 PM, Tomislav Nakic-Alfirevic wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> And also note, the meta log text line "Submitted by:" indicates that the
>> committer is not the author - this is usually followed by one or more
>> human names with an email name in <>'s.
>
> I'm not sure I understand: you use the "Submitted by:" convention in the
> log message to list the contributors? Why?

Only if the committer is not the contributor. In this case we use this convention
to document the provenance of the patch.

Regards

RĂ¼diger

Re: Analysis of the Apache web server code repository

Posted by Tomislav Nakic-Alfirevic <tn...@sharanet.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.
Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Tomislav, This is a very interesting and clever tool, but you
> probably just stepped on some toes around here, perhaps without
> realizing it.  If you know anything about ASF culture, you know
> that we don't participate in projects as 'company representatives'.
> We participate as individuals and as Jeff points out, user id's are
> not shared.  Agree w/Jeff that you should remove the text in the
> overlay that suggests otherwise.

Bill, thank you for the correction: I definitely did not want to step
on anyones toes and didn't think too much of it.
As I had already told Jeff, I read too much into what I saw so I
didn't bother to check it further.

I hope the new label will help other eager analysts avoid committing a
mistake or two of their own. :)

The tool may be clever, but the tool builders...less flattering
descriptions come to mind. ;)

Cheers,
Tomislav

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM, t.n.a. <tna@sharanet.org
> <ma...@sharanet.org>> wrote:
>

>     I have designed a dedicated Subversion data warehouse and loading
>     logic
>     so that Subversion repository data can be analyzed using OLAP
>     tools. To
>     demonstrate the functionality, I have made a short screencast
>     <http://panbi.sourceforge.net/systems/subversion/olap.html> (7
>     minutes)
>     using none other than the Apache web server's code repository as
>     the one
>     under analysis.
>

> But please note that ASF ids aren't shared.  It is important for the
> integrity of the code that we know who is making contributions.  You
> should remove the overlaid text that suggests that any ASF work is
> being done by a commercial entity using shared ids.
Tomislav,

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.
tokiley@aol.com wrote:
> I knew Trawick was a slacker most of the time.
> Now there's cool pie charts and movies to prove it.
> ROFL

I _knew_ my mail would get a lively response on this list! ;-)

> Hmm... why do I get the feeling this tool's real usage
> is so that IT managers can see who they can 'let go'?

Hi Kevin, my brother (also a software engineer) basically said the same
thing. Personally, I've ran into the exact opposite case: a company I
know has trouble deciding who to give bonuses to as it's getting harder
and harder to estimate developers' contributions. To this company, this
kind of insight, while not perfect by a long shot, is very valuable - so
that they can reward people.
Oh, and wait till you see time tracker analysis:
http://panbi.sourceforge.net/systems/worktime/olap.html
;)

Cheers,
Tomislav

--
http://www.PanBI.org - business intelligence everywhere!

Re: Analysis of the Apache web server code repository

Posted by to...@aol.com.
Ah... the good 'ol days.

> I knew Trawick was a slacker most of the time.
> Now there's cool pie charts and movies to prove it.
> ROFL
>
> Hmm... why do I get the feeling this tool's real usage
> is so that IT managers can see who they can 'let go'?
>
> Kevin Kiley

Uh oh... first I show on list up out of the blue, then you.  What's
next?  Maybe stein and rbb show up and we can start a flame war on gzip
compression?  :-)

Cheers,
Bill

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Analysis of the Apache web server code repository

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.