Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by je...@optonline.net on 2004/09/30 09:55:24 UTC

Slightly off topic

I am using Velocity and am trying to use a tool called FCKedit as well.   With FCKedit I am collecting text field data that I store in the database.  The data looks like this in the database:

When I try to take this data and display it in web pages using request velocity tool variables, it prints it out either as shown above or if I use <SPAN> as like above, but using the HTML equivalents as below:

<strong>replacement for the system.  The system</strong>.....

What i need it to not have HTML tags of any sort int he end result, but the use of the HTML tags.  I want <strong> to be applied to the text and not shown as a tag.

Is there a way to have this happen?  Either in velocity or otherwise?   I can't seem to get it working with javascript or the header encoding tag as I was hoping.

Thanks for any help.

John Ike

Re: Slightly off topic

Posted by Nathan Green <ng...@inco5.com>.
John,

You will need a tool to convert the entity references.  I don't think
the Velocity Tools project has one of these at the moment.  I am not
aware of a simple program that will do this for you, but maybe someone
around here can help out.  I did find this project:
     http://andrei.gmxhome.de/anyedit/

It appears to have source code, so it shouldn't be too difficult to
come up with a simple class/function that only converts references.  I
really think there must be a program out there somewhere, maybe even on
Jakarta, that would work, but I can't find anything at the moment.

Nathan

Re: Slightly off topic

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
jeichels@optonline.net said:
> &lt;strong&gt;replacement for the system. The
system&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/em&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;&lt;em&gt;

> When I try to take this data and display it in web pages using
> request velocity tool variables, it prints it out either as shown
> above or if I use <SPAN> as like above, but using the HTML
> equivalents as below:
>
> <strong>replacement for the system.  The system</strong>.....
>
> What i need it to not have HTML tags of any sort int he end result,
> but the use of the HTML tags.  I want <strong> to be applied to the
> text and not shown as a tag.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/lang/api/org/apache/commons/lang/StringEscapeUtils.html

has both escaping and unescaping for xml entities.  should do the trick for
you.

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com

RE: Slightly off topic

Posted by Mike Curwen <g_...@globallyboundless.com>.
My question is: Why is it like that in the database?  Have you encoded it
like that?

I've just installed fckedit (I've been meaning to try this out) and when I
use
request.getParameter("FCKeditor1");

The text returned is not encoded.