Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Ivan Ivanov <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2004/05/10 10:54:13 UTC

Import issues and built-in properties

Dear colleagues,

I am observing some strange beahviour with built in
properties, when using imports. I isolated the problem
to following simple ant scripts:

---- main.xml ----
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project name="main" basedir="." default="usage">

    <import file="import.xml" optional="no"/>

    <target name="usage"/>

    <target name="echo" depends="-init"
description="Echoes project name property">
        <echo message="project name is
${project.name}"/>
    </target>
</project>
---- end of main.xml ----

and

---- import.xml ----
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project name="import" basedir="." default="usage">

    <target name="usage"/>

    <target name="-init" depends=""
description="Initializes the needed properties">
        <property name="project.name"
value="${ant.project.name}"/>
    </target>

    <target name="echo" depends="-init"
description="Echoes project name property">
        <echo message="project name is
${project.name}"/>
    </target>
</project>
---- end of import.xml ----

When I invoke
ant -f import.xml echo
it outputs
[echo] project name is import
which is of course OK, but when i invoke
ant -f main.xml echo
it outputs
[echo] project name is main
which I think is not so OK since I define project.name
in import.xml and expect it to be "import".

I workarounded this for my concrete aims, but I think
that one has no chances of getting the import.xml's
ant built-in properties. Is import task designed to
behave like this?

Next issue is that I want to make the -init target of
main.xml file depends on -init target of import.xml,
i.e. when main.-init target is called, import.-init is
called also. Is it possible to do it?

Thank you in advance for yuor help

Greetings Ivan