Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2008/02/20 00:31:56 UTC

[VOTE] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc2)

All,

I have prepared a commons-proxy-1.0-rc2 release candidate.  The
distribution files can be found at:

http://people.apache.org/~jcarman/commons-proxy-1.0-rc2/

and the site can be found at:

http://people.apache.org/~jcarman/commons-proxy-1.0-rc2/site

The SVN tag used to create the release can be found at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/proxy/tags/proxy-1.0-rc2

All issues brought up thus far with the first release candidate have
been addressed.  Again, this is my first release (including signing),
so please review thoroughly (not that you normally don't).

Thank you,

James Carman

Re: [VOTE] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc2)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On 2/20/08, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No major problems, however there are some items that can be improved:
>
>  Dependency Listings entry:
>
>  >>>
>  Commons Proxy
>
>  Java library for dynamic proxying
>
>  ../../../../../people.apache.org/www/commons.apache.org/proper/proxy/
>  <<<
>
>  Not sure where that originates, but it does not look right.
>
>  Ideally there should be a Developer or Building page describing how to
>  build the code.

By the way, there is a "Building Components" link on the navigation
pane on the left of every commons component site.  However, it doesn't
have m2 instructions.  Maybe it should.  Then I wouldn't have to
create a proxy-specific one.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
[snip]
> I don't think this works with the release plugin - which is another
> reason for doing it manually - one thing the plugin does is re-name
> the scm entries in the pom.xml to reflect the tag.

This is why Maven folks meanwhile use a stage plugin with a staging area.

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc2)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 5:57 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>  >  >  >  >  install, etc.), but not for doing releases.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > How about something like the following:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  1) Tag "proxy-1.0-rc3"  but with the version number set to "1.0"
>  >  >  >  2) Check out the proxy-1.0-rc3
>  >  >  >  3) Build the release artifacts - I think theres a couple of options here:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  3.1) Run the following maven command:
>  >  >  >  mvn site javadoc:jar source:jar assembly:assembly
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  This will create all the artifacts - jars and src and binary distros,
>  >  >  >  but then you need to create checksums and sign
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  3.2) Run the following maven command:
>  >  >  >  mvn -Prc -DcreateChecksum=true site install
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  This should create all the artifacts installed in your local m2
>  >  >  >  repository, signed and checksums  (note it also creates checksums for
>  >  >  >  signature files - I delete those)
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  4) Upload the artifacts to peopel.apache.org/~jcarman and call a vote on dev@
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  How about creating a temporary page on the Commons Wiki with this information?
>  >  >
>  >  >  Once the process has been nailed down and tested, it should be moved
>  >  >  to the formal website.
>  >
>  >
>  > Yes, I'll try to find time to do this. The other option is to use the
>  >  maven release plugin - something along the lines:
>  >
>  >   mvn -Prc release:prepare
>  >   mvn -Prc release:perform
>  >
>  >  This has worked OK for me for releasing the poms - but I haven't tried
>  >  it on a component. The main thing I don't like about the release
>  >  plugin is that every time you do release:prepare, it does 3 commits -
>  >  which is alot of noise if you have several release candidates. Also
>  >  I'm not quite sure how we go from stage rc --> actual release. I guess
>  >  you have to tag and version as if it were the proper release - and
>  >  delete the tag if a RC fails.
>  >

>  Once the vote has passed, one can just copy the rc tag to the formal
>  release tag.

I don't think this works with the release plugin - which is another
reason for doing it manually - one thing the plugin does is re-name
the scm entries in the pom.xml to reflect the tag.

>  The RC tag should be kept (I guess any failed RC tags could be deleted).
>
>  To help tie this together, it would be an idea to document the RC tag
>  revision that is being voted on. If one wanted to be extra-careful, I
>  guess one could also document the digests of the artifacts as well.

This is not necessary IMO.

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 17:43 +0000, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> [...]
> >  >
> >  How about creating a temporary page on the Commons Wiki with this information?
> >
> >  Once the process has been nailed down and tested, it should be moved
> >  to the formal website.
>
> Yes, I'll try to find time to do this. The other option is to use the
> maven release plugin - something along the lines:
>
>   mvn -Prc release:prepare
>   mvn -Prc release:perform
>
> This has worked OK for me for releasing the poms - but I haven't tried
> it on a component. The main thing I don't like about the release
> plugin is that every time you do release:prepare, it does 3 commits -
> which is alot of noise if you have several release candidates. Also
> I'm not quite sure how we go from stage rc --> actual release. I guess
> you have to tag and version as if it were the proper release - and

Yeah, the release plugin is "sub-optimal". It just occurred to me
recently that it probably does this in order to be able to support CVS
etc which cannot so easily branch, fix branch, tag. Instead it does "fix
trunk", tag, "refix trunk".

Regards,
Simon

Re: [VOTE] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc2)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/02/2008, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 2/21/08, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > How about creating a temporary page on the Commons Wiki with this information?
>  >
>  >  Once the process has been nailed down and tested, it should be moved
>  >  to the formal website.
>  >

> I like this idea!  I can try to update it with anything I run into as
>  I go through doing the proxy 1.0 release.

I've made a start with:

http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases

It's deliberately not yet linked from the front page.

Re: [VOTE] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc2)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:03 PM, James Carman

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On 2/19/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2008 4:32 AM, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there something in the pom that shouldn't be there?  I don't think
> > > there's anything too crazy in the pom that should cause it to be
> > > generating weird artifacts.  Is it something in the parent pom?
>
> No nothing weird - just pointing out that you can get some additional
> stuff that is nice-to-have that was missing from your rc

Ahhhh, I see.  So, should I re-cut the rc2 using the correct
parameters?  Or, should I generate an rc3?  If I'm not changing
anything and I'm really just running a different command, it would
seem weird to have to create a whole new tag/version.

> > Are we supposed to be using the "rc" (I take it that means release
> > candidate) profile when building?
>
> Yes - if you do it generates the javadoc and sources jars for you -
> which are nice-to-have.
>
> >  That wasn't in the instructions.
> > The distros that I built were done using mvn assembly:assembly and
> > site without the profile activated.
>
> The "bin" assembly descriptor includes the apidocs folder, but you
> need the site generated first - so specifying "site" goal before
> "assembly:assembly" achieves that.
>
>   Then, I hand-signed the artifacts
> > and generated the md5 checksums.  I guess I could have used the maven
> > plugin, huh?  :)

I am getting a NullPointerException on the gpg:sign goal.  I can run
the gpg command by itself and sign stuff.  I just can't get it working
using the maven plugin.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On 2/19/08, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 2/19/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm +0 on this release because I like to review the actual artifacts
> > that are going to be distributed. The distros IMO meet ASF release
> > requirements but if I run command "mvn -Prc site assembly:assembly"
> > then the binary distro created also includes the javadocs and also
> > -sources.jar and -javadoc.jar. Which kind of makes the argument for
> > reviewing actual artifacts.
>
> Is there something in the pom that shouldn't be there?  I don't think
> there's anything too crazy in the pom that should cause it to be
> generating weird artifacts.  Is it something in the parent pom?

Are we supposed to be using the "rc" (I take it that means release
candidate) profile when building?  That wasn't in the instructions.
The distros that I built were done using mvn assembly:assembly and
site without the profile activated.  Then, I hand-signed the artifacts

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.