Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Kevin M." <at...@yahoo.com> on 2007/09/07 15:44:08 UTC

Compressing derby databases

Hello,

Maybe I have just missed this in the archives...

I am creating a Java desktop app that will only perform read-only accesses (selects only) on some derby databases.  I would like to compress the databases using either jar or pack200.  But, does derby support databases stored this way?  If so, can someone please point me to a page that explains how to do this?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Compressing derby databases

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Kevin,

Derby does support databases stored in jar files. This is described in
the Derby Developer's Guide
(http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/devguide/) in a subsection called
"Accessing databases from a jar or zip file". Just follow these headings
to get to that subsection:

JDBC applications and Derby basics
  Derby embedded basics
    Connecting to databases
      Special database access
        Accessing databases from a jar or zip file

Hope this helps,
-Rick