Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/06/12 20:23:40 UTC

1.4alpha1 released

the first release of the 1.4 series has just been released (source only
during the alpha phase). the 1.4 series is now feature-complete, meaning
that all the major pieces slated for 1.4 have been added. the remaining
work items for 1.4 can be seen at

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ProjectPlanning14

download 1.4alpha1 from http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/installation/index.html

some of the highlights:

* WebDAV integration
* Publication templating [1]
* New publication wizard
* Usecase framework [2]
* complete javadoc coverage [3]
* greatly extended & solidified API
* better transaction support [4]
* no longer based on XSP / actions
* no longer uses ant tasks for common operations

please give this a good test drive, and file bugs as you find them. we
plan to have further 1.4 releases once a month until we reach 1.4 final
at the beginning of september:

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ProjectReleasePlan

[1] http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/reference/publication-templating/index.html
[2] http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/reference/usecase-framework/index.html
[3] http://lenya.apache.org/apidocs/1.4/index.html
[4]
http://lenya.apache.org/apidocs/1.4/org/apache/lenya/transaction/package-summary.html

Re: 1.4alpha1 released

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Minkoo Seo wrote:
> Regarding installation steps described at
> http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/installation/source_version.html.
>
> In standalone installation, the document says that "If your Cocoon
> source tree is set up as described above, you can skip this step."
> But, it's not true.
>
> If step1 (copying build.properties and modifying cocoon.src.dir) is
> not done, build.sh says that some taks which belong to cocoon can't be
> found. (Sorry, I forget the message.)

good catch, thanks

Re: 1.4alpha1 released

Posted by Minkoo Seo <mi...@gmail.com>.
Regarding installation steps described at
http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/installation/source_version.html.

In standalone installation, the document says that "If your Cocoon
source tree is set up as described above, you can skip this step."
But, it's not true.

If step1 (copying build.properties and modifying cocoon.src.dir) is
not done, build.sh says that some taks which belong to cocoon can't be
found. (Sorry, I forget the message.)

Sincerely,
Minkoo Seo

On 6/13/05, Gregor J. Rothfuss <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
> the first release of the 1.4 series has just been released (source only
> during the alpha phase). the 1.4 series is now feature-complete, meaning
> that all the major pieces slated for 1.4 have been added. the remaining
> work items for 1.4 can be seen at
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ProjectPlanning14
>
> download 1.4alpha1 from http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/installation/index.html
>
> some of the highlights:
>
> * WebDAV integration
> * Publication templating [1]
> * New publication wizard
> * Usecase framework [2]
> * complete javadoc coverage [3]
> * greatly extended & solidified API
> * better transaction support [4]
> * no longer based on XSP / actions
> * no longer uses ant tasks for common operations
>
> please give this a good test drive, and file bugs as you find them. we
> plan to have further 1.4 releases once a month until we reach 1.4 final
> at the beginning of september:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ProjectReleasePlan
>
> [1] http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/reference/publication-templating/index.html
> [2] http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/reference/usecase-framework/index.html
> [3] http://lenya.apache.org/apidocs/1.4/index.html
> [4]
> http://lenya.apache.org/apidocs/1.4/org/apache/lenya/transaction/package-summary.html

Minkoo Seo
M.S. candidate in Computer Science
EECS Dept., KAIST

Re: 1.4alpha1 released

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:

> IMO we should have more alpha releases. The beta release is something
> that could become a production release, if it contains no blockers. How
> about
> 1.4alpha1 8.6.2005
> 1.4alpha2 8.7.2005
> 1.4alpha3 8.8.2005
> 1.4beta1 8.9.2005 (if no known blockers at that time)
> 1.4.0 8.10.2005 if no known blockers, otherwise it's 1.4beta2

+1 with the option of skipping the last release if we feel we have the
quality already. it really boils down to exposing 1.4 to as much testing
as possible. my gut feeling is that a lot of people won't even bother
with alpha releases, and will sit it out for the final release.

these considerations make me wonder whether we should have 3 alpha releases.

WDYT?

Re: 1.4alpha1 released

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss schrieb:
> the first release of the 1.4 series has just been released (source only
> during the alpha phase). the 1.4 series is now feature-complete, meaning
> that all the major pieces slated for 1.4 have been added. the remaining
> work items for 1.4 can be seen at
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ProjectPlanning14
>
> download 1.4alpha1 from http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/installation/index.html
> (...)