Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Radu Marias <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/17 18:21:38 UTC

An invalid character value encountered in TRANSLATE function

Hi,

Using Trafodion Sandbox 1.1 with VirtualBox I get this error while loading
data in a table. The scenario is:

*>>create TABLE sna_persons (*
*    id NUMERIC not null,*
*    last_name varchar(70),*
*    first_name varchar(30),*
*    middle_name varchar(30),*
*    sex char(1),*
*    fraud_flag char(1),*
*    party_id varchar(24),*
*    primary key (id)*
*)*
*salt using 8 partitions on (id);*

*>>create index sna_persons_i1 on sna_persons(first_name)*
*salt like table;*

*>>create index sna_persons_i2 on sna_persons(last_name)*
*salt like table;*

*>>create index sna_persons_i3 on sna_persons(party_id) salt like table;*

*>>load into TRAFODION.SEABASE.SNA_PERSONS select * from
hive.hive.sna_persons;*
*Task: LOAD             Status: Started    Object:
TRAFODION.SEABASE.SNA_PERSONS*
*Task:  CLEANUP         Status: Started    Object:
TRAFODION.SEABASE.SNA_PERSONS*
*Task:  CLEANUP         Status: Ended      Object:
TRAFODION.SEABASE.SNA_PERSONS*
*Task:  DISABLE INDEXE  Status: Started    Object:
TRAFODION.SEABASE.SNA_PERSONS*
*Task:  DISABLE INDEXE  Status: Ended      Object:
TRAFODION.SEABASE.SNA_PERSONS*
*Task:  PREPARATION     Status: Started    Object:
TRAFODION.SEABASE.SNA_PERSONS*

**** ERROR[8690] An invalid character value encountered in TRANSLATE
function.*

If I skip the LAST_NAME column it works. I cannot see anything specific in
logs, how can I determine which value is invalid? I have 1 million rows in
table, will not be easy to isolate it ;)

--
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life
in your years.

Fwd: An invalid character value encountered in TRANSLATE function

Posted by Qifan Chen <qi...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Radu,

To help debug the translation error, could you please turn on the update
stats logging, repeat the update stats command and send us the ULOG file
saved in the local directory?

>From sqlci, execute the following commands.

sh rm ULOG;

update statistics log on;

cqd ustat_log 'ulog';

update statistics ....

The log will contain the SQL statements used by the utility and hopefully
we can construct a test query later on that can pin point the invalid
character (if any).

Thanks

--
Regards, --Qifan

--
Regards, --Qifan

Re: An invalid character value encountered in TRANSLATE function

Posted by Qifan Chen <qi...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Renu,

Posted by Amanda Moran <am...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Radu-