Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Rodenbiker <jr...@rodenbiker.net> on 2006/03/10 22:58:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Blocking invalid URIs?

I'm very new to running a web server.

Is there a way to have httpd drop requests to URIs that don't actually
exist in my environment?

For example, if I have a very simple web site with just the document
"index.html" I don't want people trying to access
"../../../../../users/john/secretstuff". I would prefer such attempts
be dropped, logged, and an alert thrown to my mailbox or a script that
calls my cell phone.

If such functionality exists, is there a way for httpd to automatically
figure out which URIs are valid and which are not without me changing a
database, config file, etc. every time I update my site?

It seems like this is an obvious way to prevent a host of attacks on my
web server like buffer-overflow attempts, attempts to exploit a
mis-configuration of the server, cross-site scripting attacks, etc. I
just can't figure out where to look to turn this on and configure it.

Thanks.
--
Freedom, Truth, Love, Beauty.
John Rodenbiker