Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Trainor <ti...@tcp.net.au> on 2001/12/09 06:07:06 UTC

Problems connecting to mysql

Dear all,

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get this thing to work for the
last couple of days and I fear there is no alternative other than to bug
you list gurus for some help:  Here goes....

I have Tomcat 4.0.1 installed and it's examples run.
I have mysql 3.23.46 installed and it is running fine with the necessary
grants etc.

In my server.xml I have the following section which should establish the
connection to the database:

       <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
              driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/universe?user=snike;password=blahdy"
               userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
userCredCol="user_pass"
           userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />

But when I fire up tomcat using the startup.sh script, the following
error comes up.  This error is extra-weird because we have another
machine here with an identical setup and identical entries in server.xml.

Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Exception opening database
connection:  java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification:
Access denied for user: 'snike;password@192.168.0.27' (Using password:
NO)
LifecycleException:  Exception opening database connection:
java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access
denied for user: 'snike;password@192.168.0.27' (Using password: NO)
         at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.start(JDBCRealm.java:615)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1108)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:307)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:388)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:505)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:776)
         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
----- Root Cause -----
java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access
denied for user: 'snike;password@192.168.0.27' (Using password: NO)
         at org.gjt.mm.mysql.MysqlIO.init(MysqlIO.java:330)
         at
org.gjt.mm.mysql.Connection.connectionInit(Connection.java:261)
         at
org.gjt.mm.mysql.jdbc2.Connection.connectionInit(Connection.java:89)
         at org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:167)
         at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.open(JDBCRealm.java:548)
         at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.start(JDBCRealm.java:613)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1108)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:307)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:388)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:505)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:776)
         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

=====================
The 192.168.0.27 is the ip address of this machine.

Any and all help would be appreciated!
tia
Tim T.

-------
And now for the funny sign-off:
"Isn't it sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as
a pack of wild dogs"

Re: Problems connecting to mysql

Posted by Paul DuBois <pa...@snake.net>.
>At 4:07 PM +1100 12/9/01, Tim Trainor wrote:
>>Dear all,
>>
>>I've been tearing my hair out trying to get this thing to work for
>>the last couple of days and I fear there is no alternative other
>>than to bug you list gurus for some help:  Here goes....
>>
>>I have Tomcat 4.0.1 installed and it's examples run.
>>I have mysql 3.23.46 installed and it is running fine with the
>>necessary grants etc.
>>
>>In my server.xml I have the following section which should
>>establish the connection to the database:
>>
>>       <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
>>              driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
>>
>>connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/universe?user=snike;password=blahdy"
>>               userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
>>userCredCol="user_pass"
>>           userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
>
>You're following the example in sample.xml, which is incorrect.
>
>The MM.MySQL driver requires "&" between the passwords, not ";".

Sorry, I meant to say "between the parameters".

Posted by Paul DuBois <pa...@snake.net>.