Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ASAD BIN IMTIAZ <cs...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/28 14:38:24 UTC

[users@httpd] How to set up apache proxy load balancer for two different ISP

Hi,

Though new to apache, I have heard that apache web
server can be configured as a proxy server that load
balance the internal network traffic going out to
internet between two different ISP connections.
I have a small network of few computers connected to a
gateway computer (all running linux). These computers
access internet via the gateway computer that has an
ethernet lan connection.

          ------------
          |          |
          | INTERNET |
          |          |
          ------------

             Gateway
              /   \
             /     \
            /       \
          user1 .. userN

If I add an new internetion to my gateway, how can I
make my gateway do the loadbalancing among the user
requests and responces by dividing the load between
the two internet connections using apache as a proxy
server (as shown below).

          ------------
          |          |
          | INTERNET |
          |          |
          ------------
              |   |
       Link 1 |   | Link 2
              |   |
             Gateway
              /   \
             /     \
            /       \
          user1 .. userN

Please send me links of step-by-step guide of doing
this (if this technique is possible). Remember, I do
not want the second connection to sit idle and
activate only on the failure of the first. I want it
to balance the load of the internet traffic.

Asad Imtiaz