Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org> on 2012/08/14 04:31:13 UTC

Ambari 0.9 install won't start

Hello all,

I did an install using HDP repo and 0.9 branch, the install went without any major issues. The Ambari service started w/out any problems. However, the UI won't show, the browser window just sits there blank. No error and no output. Any advice would be nice.

________________________________
This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message. Thank you.

--------------------

RE: Ambari 0.9 install won't start

Posted by Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org>.
It was most likely the selinux because I'm pretty sure I toggled iptables off before. The UI came up.

Thank you, if you get a chance, please answer the questions below.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Artem,

Logs to look at:
   - httpd errors logs if there is some issue with the UI or this can show dependency issues at times when the UI fails to come up
   - main ambari log is /var/log/hmc/hmc.log  - log level controlled by /usr/share/hmc/php/conf/Config.inc
   - puppet logs - there is a /var/log/puppet_agent.log and puppet_apply.log on each agent host.
       - puppet agent log is the overall agent log
       - puppet apply log contains the log for the last set of actions for which puppet was triggered ( gets overwritten each time puppet does something on an agent host )
           - puppet apply log gets pushed into agent.log after each run
   - sqlite db
       - The transaction and subtransaction status table
       - every time you take an action on the UI - say deploy or reconfigure something, a new row in transaction table is created.
       - each transaction may result in a series of steps to be done. these are recorded in subtransactionstatus.
       - subtransactionstatus table has txn-id:sub-txn-id:parent-sub-txn-id - this maps into /var/lib/puppet/reports
       - each txn is done within a background process so some of its logs go into /var/log/hmc/hmc.<txn>.log
    - checking puppet report logs
       - lets consider that during a deploy something failed. Look at the subtxnstatus table based on above and find the id which failed.
       - check entry in db to see how many failed or timed out.
       - for failed, look at the relevant dir under var/lib/puppet/reports - there will be one report per host in the appropriate dir.
    - for some certain operations like adding nodes ( which bootstraps the node and installs puppet on it )
       - such commands cannot use puppet of course
       - the outputs for the setup commands are in directories /var/run/hmc/clusters/<cluster name>/<stage dir>/

JDK:
   - you should be able to switch to using _33 easily. The code currently has been hardcoded to _26. You can grep through the source for jdk and or _26 and change all the revelant matches you find to _33. After that, it is a just a question of re-building and retrying the installs.
   - you may need to remove the 26 install from all hosts before re-trying ( look for /usr/jdk32 and /usr/jdk64 IIRC - these should symlink to the _26 installs )
   - If you get the above changes working, please go ahead and file a jira and submit a patch.

BigTop:
   - Yes - the plan has always been to have Ambari work with BigTop. BigTop would provide the packages and repo for the hadoop ecosystem and Ambari would deploy them. It is something which we have been planning to address but have not gotten around to yet.

thanks
 -- Hitesh

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@hortonworks.com>.