Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ja...@F-Secure.com on 2001/10/04 11:00:18 UTC

Transcoding without generating DOM tree.

Hi All,

I'm using batik in a servlet to transcode some jsp-generated SVG to PNG if
the browser can't handle the SVG. The Q&A at
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/JavaLive/2001/jl0123.h
tml

says

"Lastly, Batik provides facilities to build dynamic or static documents. If
the 'static' flag is set, Batik won't create any dependencies between the DOM
and the rendering engine."

which should speed things up for me. Unfortunately I just can't find any
documentation on this 'static' flag. Can someone point me in the right
direction?

thanks heaps
james

James Uther                   www.F-Secure.com
Senior Software Engineer  F-Secure Corporation

        Securing the Mobile Enterprise

Transcoding without generating DOM tree.

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

JU> I'm using batik in a servlet to transcode some jsp-generated SVG
JU> to PNG if the browser can't handle the SVG.

JU> The Q&A at
JU> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/JavaLive/2001/jl0123.html

JU> "Lastly, Batik provides facilities to build dynamic or static
JU> documents. If the 'static' flag is set, Batik won't create any
JU> dependencies between the DOM and the rendering engine."

JU> which should speed things up for me. Unfortunately I just can't
JU> find any documentation on this 'static' flag. Can someone point me
JU> in the right direction?

    Well #1 I'm not sure this statement is still accurate and #2 I
think you read the statement to say what you wanted to hear not what
it actually says.  What it is trying to say is that in static mode you
can throw away the DOM tree (or the DOM tree will be GC'ed) after the
rendering tree (GVT) has been built.  You still need the DOM tree to
build the GVT tree (it would be difficult to processes all of SVG
without a DOM tree as there are lots of cross references).  Sorry we
don't support SAX -> GVT.