Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jeremy Blackman <lo...@maison-otaku.net> on 1997/08/11 21:20:02 UTC

config/989: 'bindaddress' in a directive block sometimes affects entire server.

>Number:         989
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       'bindaddress' in a <virtualhost> directive block sometimes affects entire server.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have virtual hosts for several of the users on my site; recently I went to change
them over to IP based.

Instead of changing the <virtualhost sitename> to <virtualhost IP> I first
tried adding 'bindaddress' commands into the virtualhost block.  What it did
was only bind the server to the IP address of the last 'bindaddress'.

(e.g. it ONLY listened on the address for 'genesis.maison-otaku.net',
the final site, when it should have also listened on
'www.maison-otaku.net' and 'spoof.maison-otaku.net')

Remarking out the second virtual host made it only bind to the IP of the
first virtual host.  Removing the 'bindaddress' directives and placing
the IP in the <virtualhost> block worked; however, bindaddress
probably should work within the virtualhost block.  :)
>How-To-Repeat:
Use 'bindaddress' in a <virtualhost> block.
>Fix:
Make bindaddress do what you'd expect.  It shouldn't be
that difficult; clearly it already has the ability to bind a virtual
host to an IP address (at least functionally); this would be a
change to the parser.  Alternatively, make a comment in
the documentation / conf file to the effect that bindaddress
only works for the primary server. :%2