Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Gareth Coltman <ga...@majorband.co.uk> on 2002/05/02 15:00:06 UTC

Bug with redirects in explorer

Hi all,

I have found an annoying bug in IE that effects turbine (to some degree). I
would be interested in your thoughts.

There has been discussion before on this list on the use of redirects to
after actions to stop users going back and resubmitting or refreshing. The
problem I have found occurs when you attempt to redirect to a new protocol
and port. This is a common thing to do when going from secure to insecure
parts of a site (e.g. after logout).

If one tries to redirect from

https://domain:8081/myapp/secure

http://domain:8080/myapp/insecure

IE 5+ will request the resource:

http://domain:8081/myapp/insecure

when it receives the redirect.

What is this madness!???

I don't know whether any problems occur if using default ports for protocols
(80 & 443)... probably not.

The only work around I can think of is to send another redirect after the
first one, this time with a corrected port number.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had a similar problem.

Gareth