Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by dhpeterson <dh...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/04 08:55:12 UTC

Re: JTestR

Assaf - what's your latest thinking on JTestR or rspec for unit testing in
buildr?

I was a little confused between the two postings as to which you felt was
the best model. Should we be aiming to support both, for choice?

Dave

Re: JTestR

Posted by Nick Sieger <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 4, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Assaf Arkin wrote:

> On 2/3/08, dhpeterson <dh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Assaf - what's your latest thinking on JTestR or rspec for unit
>> testing in
>> buildr?
>>
>> I was a little confused between the two postings as to which you
>> felt was
>> the best model. Should we be aiming to support both, for choice?
>

> Nick Sieger contributed an RSpec test framework that's native to
> Buildr:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BUILDR-29
>
> Using JTestR we would still have to write a test framework to use
> the Ant
> task, both use RSpec and we won't gain any features that I know of,
> so I
> prefer to go with Nick's framework.

The thing my rspec framework doesn't do that JTestR does is Test::Unit
testing. I'll leave that for someone else, since I'm not using
Test::Unit...:-)

/Nick

Re: JTestR

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
> [...]

> >> and a pig to extend. Starting with 1.3, it will be easy to drop in
> >> support
> >> for new languages, say building Java and Scala code side by side, or
> >> mixing
> >> in Flash for the client side.
> >>
> >> The design I went with is granular enough that you can mix projects in
> >> different languages, but also compile in one language and run test
> cases
> >> in
> >> another. Originally I was thinking of using RSpec to unit test Java
> code.
> >> Thanks to Ola
> >> Bini<http://ola-bini.blogspot.com/2007/12/jtestr-01-released.html>,
> >> we now have JTestR <http://jtestr.codehaus.org/Getting+Started>. And
> >> being
> >> an Ant task, it only takes a few lines of Ruby code (and zero lines of

CTO, Intalio
http://www.intalio.com