Posted to apps-dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/06/29 16:34:53 UTC

Servlet issues in 'Sevak'

Folks,

I have been playing with Vinay's 'Sevak' Catalina wrapper.  I have done
some work to try to move it from Catalina 4.0.3 to 4.1.3beta to try to
overcome a bug, but am seeing the same thing.  Basically it looks like
any attempt to mount servlets causes an NPE during initialization :

  rethrown from
  java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:385)
        at
org.apache.naming.ContextBindings.bindClassLoader(ContextBindings.java:312)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.createNamingContext(StandardContext.java:3782)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3360)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:785)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:454)
        at
org.apache.avalon.apps.sevak.blocks.CatalinaSevakImpl.deploy(CatalinaSevakImpl.java:227)
        at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.BlockInvocationHandler.invoke(BlockInvocationHandler.java:91)
        at $Proxy0.deploy(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.avalon.apps.sevak.demo.SevakTest.initialize(SevakTest.java:80)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:235)

I'll try to debug Catalina and work out what is happening.  That is,
unless someone else has experience of embedding Catalina.  My complete
guess is that it is to do with Class.forName(..) which is notorius for
causing problems for 'advanced' classloader trees.

Also I made a couple of changes from Vinay's initial version (excellent
work).  The bundled webapps are taken from the downloaded catalina,
rather than the webapps/ that were previously in Sevak's CVS.  This was
a fork of the root page anyway.  Now it mounts ROOT and tomcat-docs, but
does not do management, examples or webdav. Catalina barfs if you
uncoment the sections in 'sevak-demo-config.xml'

Next on our list is to get Jo! and Jetty working from the same service
abstractions.

Regards,

- Paul

Re: Servlet issues in 'Sevak'

Posted by Vinay Chandran <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,
---paul wrote ---
> I could not get the servet examples working for
> 4.0.3 or 4.1.3.  Try
> coing to the config.xml in src/demo/conf and
> removing the comment for
> the 'examples' webapp.  It shopws the bug in action.

The servlets works too, dude.
Actually the /tomcat/examples example is an example
which  uses Realm and jndi contexts (ejb-refs) which
we
haven't taken care of ,and thus the ERROR.
(The logs show error about an unbound ProcessOrder
resource , which is a ejb/ref within the config's
of /example webapp)
I tried with a HelloWorldServlet example and its
works fine.
Hopefully it should work fine with you too.

So I went about trying to configure Realm/JNDI
resources  with Embedded instance and couldn't find a
hook within Embedded to add a NamingResource.
Maybe I need to open both my eyes and look :)
Anyways I guess we need to plug-in
Realm + JNDI configuration within the Sevak interface
too. Thoughts ?

Regards,
Vinay

Re: Servlet issues in 'Sevak'

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Vinay ,

>>I have been playing with Vinay's 'Sevak' Catalina
>>wrapper.  I have done
>>some work to try to move it from Catalina 4.0.3 to
>>4.1.3beta to try to
>>overcome a bug, but am seeing the same thing.
>>

>Isn't it working well for 4.0.3 release of Tomcat ?
>I did find the same problem when working working with
>4.1.3 release and hopefully we should be able
>to work around that too.

I could not get the servet examples working for 4.0.3 or 4.1.3.  Try
coing to the config.xml in src/demo/conf and removing the comment for
the 'examples' webapp.  It shopws the bug in action.

>>Next on our list is to get Jo! and Jetty working
>>from the same service
>>abstractions.
>>

>Damn kewl. !!!
>Hopefully we can go down the similar lanes of
>fetching the necceessary jars thru the ant script
>and thus seemlessly  plug-in the impl'.

Indeed :-)

- Paul

Re: Servlet issues in 'Sevak'